Topic: Gparted liveCD Stuck at boot [Linux-initrd@0x1fcc0000,0x32ff43 bytes]

Hello i am trying to use Gparted so that i can create a partion to make a dual xp/vista boot system.

I have tried version 0.3.4-7 and 0.3.4-8, and both do not work and display the same error.
When i boot from the cd i get the main Gnome Partition editor Screen, and then regardless of which line i select, be it the (auto-configuration) or any other line, it will not complete the boot.

It starts up then after three lines of txt i get the following.

[Linux-initrd@0x1fcc0000,0x32ff43 bytes]

and then it juts freezes up and all i can do is a hard reset on the PC.

Here is my hardware:
Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard, which uses Intel P965 Chipset.
Using Intel ICH8R, Intel Matrix Raid 0 with two 300GB seagate 7200.10 drives in SATAII mode.
The board uses JMicron JMB363 PATA controler for the DVD Burner which is reading the Gpart CD.
Samsung DVD Burner PATA.
Intel Core2 Duo E6700
1GB DDR2 667 Corsair RAM.
Ati X1300 PCIE Video Card.
System has windows xp pro installed on it with all updates and runs perfectly.
Memtest reports no errors after hours running.
Windows system is perfectly stable, and no signs of any hardware issues.

So what can i do to get Gparted to run?

I would appreciate a quick response as i need to do this ASAP.
Thanks in advance, for any help anyone can give.

Re: Gparted liveCD Stuck at boot [Linux-initrd@0x1fcc0000,0x32ff43 bytes]

Please, go to the following post and read about:
http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=687

Your system is very similar to my own computer (I have P5B Deluxe WiFi motherboard, same H/D, E6600 and 2 optical drives.
It seems that 0.3.4-5 worked better for me.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Well i was able to get the USB version of Gparted to boot up.

Unfortunately no matter what i tried,  it would not recognize my RAID 0 , NTFS partition.
Instead it would see two seperate drives and show unallocated space equal to the full space available.

So i just gave up and used an old version of partition magic (non norton), which worked fine.

looks like Gparted just is not compatible with my board, which uses the very common intel ICH8R raid controller in the intel P965 chipset.

Its too bad that i had to give up and use older partition magic software to fix my problem, as i did like the idea of Gparted doing this for me, too bad it just does not work.

Did you try to change any BIOS settings related to the HD controller, to see if Gparted detects raid?  It usually works with raid disks.

Another option you could try is the Parted Magic livecd, that uses Gparted together with other boot and detection system and newer Linux Kernel.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

5 (edited by interested 2007-10-17 15:36:49)

class413 wrote:

Did you try to change any BIOS settings related to the HD controller, to see if Gparted detects raid?  It usually works with raid disks.

Another option you could try is the Parted Magic livecd, that uses Gparted together with other boot and detection system and newer Linux Kernel.

Bios settings related to RAID on an intel P965 chipset, ICH8R, controller consists of either turning on RAID or not. Thats about it, and my RAID was on, and my OS would boot from it just fine.

Parted Magic would load up but would also not see my NTFS partition on my RAID, and would only see two seperate harddrives and show them as "unalocated space".
This is not surprising given that Parted magic just uses GParted, and thats what the USB Gparted also did.
Aside from the automated setting, I also tried various options, with no luck.

Anywell as i said, my problem is now solved.
The solution was to just use an old version of Partition Magic (non Norton), and then everything was fine, and now i am done with this.

Maybe i will give Gparted another try someday in the unlikely event that i need to re-partition an older non intel based RAID computer.

There is a newer version of the livecd, 0.3.4-9 (sence the 18th October). It is based on a new Linux kernel.