1 (edited by class413 2007-06-19 11:19:52)

Topic: [SOLVED] Strange 'gparted' window!

Hello!

I've found many good comments about gparted, so I'd like to use it to do partition work in my brand new 6600 desktop computer (first of course, shrink the only ntfs XPHome partition, and later install a Linux in dual boot). My current Linux using experience comes from Knoppix live cds.

I already tried the last live cd (19 May 2007) with the following "problem":

after booting (with default settings or some other screen settings), I get a all-black screen with a gparted window like those in the screenshots of the site, but without the top part (window name and the 3 control buttons for minimize, fullscreen and close).
So, the top of the window is the menu line. I can close it only by the menu option, and after that the computer is almost frozen, can't exit or reboot, and the only way I had was to press "reset".

However, I found that I could go to the text screen by ctrl+alt+1. Then, giving "exit" 2 times (2 commands) I'm back to the graphic screen ( X ? ) with light brown background, the big command icons on the top and the whole gparted window below them. It seems then working as told in the various help texts.

My question: is all this normal? I think I had to be in the normal color screen without those artifacts! wink
Is there any problem eventually to do with the graphics adapter? (ALBATRON Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS / 256MB PCI-expressx16). I tried with VESA too.

About the program:
It found the existing partition with no problem
(NTFS, the whole H/D Seagate 320 SATA2). I did nothing till now, because I'd like to be sure that it works correctly. The need to reset the computer didn't seem to be the best method to do the necessary reboots! smile

Waiting for your comments...
Thank you very much!

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Re: [SOLVED] Strange 'gparted' window!

Any idea about this problem???

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I finally found the following solution that worked (I think):

- I boot from the livecd with the VESA option from the initial boot menu.
- I select the default options for keyboard and language (press just ENTER).
- After the booting process, I'm into a black screen with a gparted window, not fully functional.
- I then press Control+Alt+Backspace, to kill X.
- A few seconds later I get a terminal screen (a text screen) with a "gparted" prompt.
(If there is no prompt, I think it appears by pressing the ENTER key.
- I enter the command "exit" (I type exit and press ENTER).
- Then, I go to a new graphical colour screen with the right window and icons.

Sometimes, I need to give "exit" a second time. I don't remember exactly why, but it works for me.

I used it in that last weekend to shrink the ntfs xphome partition, with absolute success. The shrinking process was as described in the Documentation.
From the initial size of 300 GB I made it 125 GB ntfs,
I created a new partition (FAT32) 140 GB, to use as data partition, and
left 35 GB unallocated in the middle of the disk, to put there Linux partitions I plan to install.

I did not only 2 but 3 or 4 reboots after resizing the ntfs, because I had a message that the system intalled some new device. Anyway, XP work.

I don't know if FAT32 is the best solution for a data partition (readable by both XP and Linux), because a 140GB partition in FAT32  has a minimum allocation block of 16KB instead of 4KB for the ntfs.

Thanks for this nice software, even if it is not always easy to make it work tongue  I'm sure I'll use it often!

Do you know if this happens with previous versions ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

I didn't try any older version
(I discovered Gparted few time ago, and saw that last version worked well with ntfs, that was my first object actually).

I can download an older version of the livecd in a cd-rw disk and try. Which is the version to try?

class413 wrote:

IWhich is the version to try?

0.3.4-5 & 0.3.4-6, please.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I tested this morning the 0.3.4-6 LiveCD.

On my E6600 Core duo, where I have the problem I describe above, I had *no problem!*  Booting with the first (default) option, with default keyb+language, I had gparted running on the appropriate colour screen. It checked my disk and found my partitions and unallocated space (created by gparted, anyway).

I tested 0.3.4-6 and 0.3.4-7 in my sister's computer too (pentium 1800MHZ, about 5 or 6 years old, with 2 IDE HDs and 2 IDE optical drives, with Radeon graphics card, I think 8500, good card at the time. Motherboard: Gigabyte, I think. Big Hitatchi 19" old good CRT monitor).
The results were the same (well, the gparted windows on screen were bigger because of the different resolutions supported by cards and screens).
With 0.3.4-6 I had gparted directly, with 0.3.4-7 I had to do the artifact with control-alt-backspace -> return to text terminal screen -> give "exit" -> have the good desktop open+gparted launched and running.

Nevertheless, the following occurred when I stopped the system, in that second computer: after pressing the "Eject & Reboot" option to leave, there was not the drive containing the livecd open (E: for win), but the other drive (D: for win)! The E: drive was locked during the powerdown process until a little before the reboot.

So, it seems that something changed from 6 to 7, that causes the problem. For any other information about the systems, M/B, bios etc, I can give all you need. smile

The most important change between 346 and 347 is udev, i think.
The problem you report about the drive is known. If you have more than one drive the first one is opened not necessary the good one :-p

No clue about what to do :-/

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I tried new version 0.3.4-8, to test it.

I found a problem that didn't exist in 0.3.4-7 :
I had to do the think with control+6alt+backspace and then "exit", as previous, BUT in some boot options even the text screen was garbled. It seemed like a "text emulation" mode that didn't work well. I rebooted the computer by the command "reboot", and that without watching really the screen content.

The option "boot with previous method" or something like this, worked as 0.3.4-7. I dont know if ther is any differrence about partition work, but concerning the interface, the previous version 0.3.4-7 worked better for me.

I must take photos of the screen and post them here, as well as test many options.