Topic: [SOLVED] How to move space between partitions - OpenMediaVault machine

Hello,

I have a question regarding partitioning my system drive for my NAS running OpenMediaVault.

Memory on the hard drive is running out of space. My system drive has 120GB and some other stuff is running in containers beside NextCloud. But my system drive is partitioned as TDL describes (—replaced because only one link is possible, will post it separately) at 3:20min.

Because there is another empty partition is available and I want to use it.

https://help.nextcloud.com/uploads/default/original/3X/b/8/b892d3f40a3858d28724f7f51f7700b96daf0a84.jpeg

I think it is the partition with 27,94GB.
But there are still 74GB available and I want to use it.
The question is: How to extend the system partition with the empty space without losing my data and crash my NAS?

Thanks a lot for any hint.

Re: [SOLVED] How to move space between partitions - OpenMediaVault machine

https://youtu.be/TQbx77KEipE

See Moving Space Between Partitions for a general idea of what you need to do.  You don't have an extended partition so you can skip that bit.

Thanks a lot for the link. I will check that.
What do you mean exactly with the extended partition? I can skip point „6. Select the extended partition.“ ?

As you don't have an extended partition then steps 6 to 9 of Moving Space Between Partitions don't apply.

I pointed to this document to provide general advice of how to shrink one partition, to allow another to be grown.

This is the specific steps you need to do:
1. Boot you machine using GParted Live or other bootable media with GParted application such as SystemRescue.
2. Shrink partition sde4 (ext4) by moving the start of the partition to the right, suggest by 25 GiB, and apply.
3. Move partition sde3 (linux-swap) all the way to the right and apply.
4. Grow partition sde2 (ext4) by moving the end of the partition all the way to the right and apply.

@mfleetwo thanks a lot for your explanation. It works and now I have more space in my cloud. Very nice.