1 (edited by cnrhome 2010-01-21 22:42:19)

Topic: (solved) NTFS resize problem

Hello all,

I have the same dreaded  "ERROR: Current NTFS volume size is bigger than the device size!" and I'm hoping someone can save me from the h*ll that I'm in. Some of the gory details :

- Brand new laptop w/160G drive and company 'loaded' system - WinXP and lots of other apps.
- Due to several hard drive crashes over the yrs, I insist on partitioning my drive - its saved me in the past.
- Company doesn't support partitioning, but has old Partition Magic 8.01, which had worked perfectly on other laptops.
- PartitionMagic installs, but when run says "Init failed: Error 117, Partition's drive letter cannot be determined" and stops
- Try DOS floppy boot version of PM, but it shows an unusable 'yellow' drive with 105 error
- Google and find "/ipe" option when starting under WinXT - PM now runs!
- Find a 7M 'unallocated' space after C: partition. Takes several tries to remove it and join to full partition
- Every attempt at re-partitioning C: leads to error 117 when machine reboots and tries to do the partitioning work
- Google and find SystemRescueCD: http://www.sysresccd.org/
- Build bootable CD and try GParted
- First attempt is simply to shrink 160G into 40G with unallocated space
- Then booting to WinXT gets BSOD with something like 'Unmountable boot drive'

- Suggested diagnosis commands follow :

root@sysresccd /root % fdisk -l -u

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x64656469

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048    81915434    40956693+   7  HPFS/NTFS

root@sysresccd /root % parted /dev/sda unit s print

Model: ATA HITACHI HTS72321 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 312581808s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start  End        Size       Type     File system  Flags
1      2048s  81915434s  81913387s  primary  ntfs         boot

root@sysresccd /root %

The partition INFO screen shows
    Current volume size: 160038 MB
    Current device size : 41940 MB

Can anyone help? Is there anything else you need? I really need to get this get this machine running again with the existing XP image and a couple of partitions.

Thanks!

Re: (solved) NTFS resize problem

Next we will need copies of the Master Boot Record and the NTFS Partition Boot Record.

You can capture the Master Boot Record in a file with the following command:

NOTE:  Be extra careful to type this command in properly, otherwise loss of data could result.

dd if=/dev/sda of=sda-cnrhome.mbr bs=512 count=1

where sda-cnrhome.mbr is the name of the file that will need to be uploaded.

You can capture the NTFS Partition Boot Record in a file with the following command:

NOTE:  Be extra careful to type this command in properly, otherwise loss of data could result.

dd if=/dev/sda of=sda1-cnrhome.pbr bs=512 count=1 skip=2048

where sda1-cnrhome.pbr is the name of the file that will need to be uploaded.

Then upload these files to a media sharing site, such as mediafire, and post the link to these files in this forum post.

Re: (solved) NTFS resize problem

Thanks, I see I put this in the wrong forum - sorry. I also found the beta 'tutorial' to update the PBR and it worked, but now I have a different issue which I posted here :

http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=13964