Topic: (solved) NTFS resize problem
I have the same dreaded "ERROR: Current NTFS volume size is bigger than the device size!" and I'm hoping someone can save me from the h*ll that I'm in. Some of the gory details :
- Brand new laptop w/160G drive and company 'loaded' system - WinXP and lots of other apps.
- Due to several hard drive crashes over the yrs, I insist on partitioning my drive - its saved me in the past.
- Company doesn't support partitioning, but has old Partition Magic 8.01, which had worked perfectly on other laptops.
- PartitionMagic installs, but when run says "Init failed: Error 117, Partition's drive letter cannot be determined" and stops
- Try DOS floppy boot version of PM, but it shows an unusable 'yellow' drive with 105 error
- Google and find "/ipe" option when starting under WinXT - PM now runs!
- Find a 7M 'unallocated' space after C: partition. Takes several tries to remove it and join to full partition
- Every attempt at re-partitioning C: leads to error 117 when machine reboots and tries to do the partitioning work
- Google and find SystemRescueCD: http://www.sysresccd.org/
- Build bootable CD and try GParted
- First attempt is simply to shrink 160G into 40G with unallocated space
- Then booting to WinXT gets BSOD with something like 'Unmountable boot drive'
- Suggested diagnosis commands follow :
root@sysresccd /root % fdisk -l -u
Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x64656469
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 81915434 40956693+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
root@sysresccd /root % parted /dev/sda unit s print
Model: ATA HITACHI HTS72321 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 312581808s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 2048s 81915434s 81913387s primary ntfs boot
root@sysresccd /root %
The partition INFO screen shows
Current volume size: 160038 MB
Current device size : 41940 MB
Can anyone help? Is there anything else you need? I really need to get this get this machine running again with the existing XP image and a couple of partitions.