Topic: [SOLVED] XP doesn't see newly allocated space

Folks, I have an XP VM running in VMware Fusion.  I made the original disk way too small (8GB).  I used Fusion tools to bump up the disk to 20GB, and then booted the VM with a GParted LiveCD to extend the C: partition to use the new space.  After rebooting, XP "sort of" sees the new space allocated to C:.  What I mean is, if you run Disk Manager, the graphic at the bottom shows all 20GB allocated to C:, but the top shows only the original 8GB.

What did I do wrong, and can I fix it?

A screenshot of what I'm talking about is here: http://imgur.com/Iiy7W.png

-Robot

Re: [SOLVED] XP doesn't see newly allocated space

It appears that the file system did not grow (but the partition did).  This could happen if you used GParted with an unpatched version of parted-1.9.0.  For more information on this problem see:
WARNING! Problem Resizing File Systems with GParted

To fix the problem, boot using GParted Live 0.4.8-6 or higher.  Then use the menu option "Partition -> Check".  This should grow the NTFS file system to fill the partition.

3 (edited by robot1125 2009-11-19 22:04:34)

Full disclosure... I did the initial resizing using systemrescuecd v1.3.2, which claims it has gparted 0.4.8, and parted 1.9.0.  I wouldn't know if that was the patched version of parted or not.  I also just tried to issue the partition->check command via gparted livecd v0.4.8 (from about screen) that I pulled yesterday.  How can I tell if it's the "-6" version or not?

Anyway, when I did the partition->check, it generated an unspecified error dialog.

Any other ideas?

Edit: here is the gparted_details.htm file.  I'm going to try again after doing a formal shutdown, even though I thought I already had.

robot1125 wrote:

Full disclosure... I did the initial resizing using systemrescuecd v1.3.2, which claims it has gparted 0.4.8, and parted 1.9.0.

That version of systemrescuecd did not have the patched parted 1.9.0.

robot1125 wrote:

How can I tell if it's the "-6" version or not?

The "-6" refers to the incremental identifier of the Live CD.  So GParted Live 0.4.8-6 means it has GParted 0.4.8, and that it is the 6th version of the Live CD.  The "-6" would be part of the filename (e.g., gparted-live-0.4.8-6.iso)

robot1125 wrote:

Anyway, when I did the partition->check, it generated an unspecified error dialog.

Any other ideas?

The error message is contained in the gparted_details.htm file.

ERROR(95): Opening '/dev/hda1' as NTFS failed: Operation not supported
The NTFS journal file is unclean. Please shutdown Windows properly before
using this software! Note, if you have run chkdsk previously then boot
Windows again which will automatically initialize the journal correctly.

Basically it says that Windows was not properly shut down.  You need to boot back into windows and perhaps reboot it another time to permit Windows to perform it's own file system checking.  After that properly shut down Windows.  Then you can use GParted to resize the NTFS partition.

@gedakc - The issue is resolved!

The details file gave me a clue about the state of the VM disk.  Apparantly, issuing a restart for the VM is not the same as a shutdown/startup.  When I did a shutdown, and issued your majik commands from gparted, it worked.

Thank you for your help.

-Robot

I am glad to hear that your problem is solved.

I will edit the title for you and prefix it with "SOLVED".