1 (edited by wargod18 2007-03-19 20:09:42)

Topic: Need help booting Live CD i keep getting this Grub menu

I downloaded and installed the latest version of liveCd about 3 days ago and when i booted my PC from it i got this Grub menu. how do i get past that and into the program so i can partition the Hardrive. also does it support an SATA hardrive?

Re: Need help booting Live CD i keep getting this Grub menu

It does support SATA smile
Use arrow key to go where you want  (the first menu seems to be the best)
And then hit "enter" key (of your keyboard) :-)

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Hi.

Im having trouble getting to that meny. the only thing i get when booting the cd is the following:

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (639 lower / 490432 upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists the possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename. ]

grub> _

I have checked the md5sum and after burning the ISO with NERO i also have verifyed burned content. Tryed 3 different cds. The weird thing is that it works perfectly on one desktop i got here, but not on the laptop.

How to fix this?

thx

I get this too. No menu, just a Grub prompt. When I type a command such as 'root' or 'kernel' I get 'Error 12: Invalid device requested'. I've tried typing the entry from menu.lst manually, but get the same error. This is on a laptop too - I don't have another machine to test it on right now.

Is there some known problem with Grub finding drives on laptops? If so, is there a way around it?

On my laptop I have to hold the "c" key down to boot from a cd. If I hold it down to long the gparted LiveCD drops me out of the startup process and into the grub command line. Just hit ESCAPE to get back to the gparted startup process.
Joseph Elwell.

I have this exact same problem, but when I hit enter it just redisplays the "Minimal Bash" message.

Why is it doing this? I've redownloaded and rechecked the CD 4 times now, and it still does not work. I tried it on both my old computer and my new computer and I get the same message. "Blah blah Minimal Bash blah blah here's a command line, have fun without a gui." sad

First question: what does just "root" say?

For external use only.

8 (edited by Acer9303WSMi 2007-05-26 20:05:29)

Cannot get past the scroll list, none of the options works for me, gives a diskread error, then some half readable patterned data with the words gforce driver barely readable.

This is a new Acer Aspire notebook AMD Turion 64X2 160gb Sata hard disk, Nvidia geforce go 7300 128mb.

I had already created one partition on the harddrive with fdisk.[which was a brand new drive not the original which came with the laptop].  Vista [heaven help me] is freshly installed on C partition and shrunk to 26.9gb. The other partition is empty, have just formatted it to the only option available, ntfs and still no different.

Edit, I have been able to partition during the standard install process using the Kubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn installation for amd64,  http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php

Next, to look for sound and video drivers

Alan.

Acer9303WSMi wrote:

Cannot get past the scroll list, none of the options works for me, gives a diskread error, then some half readable patterned data with the words gforce driver barely readable.

Are you sure that your downloaded files or your burned cdr are good? Perhaps the downloaded program file was corrupted, or the cdr has recording errors.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Quite possibly a disk read error. Parted Magic is OK and that uses gparted.

SheeEttin wrote:

First question: what does just "root" say?

root is the Linux superuser.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hi SheeEttin, thanks for your interest and help, however I have managed to partition using gparted from PartedMagic, and I have so much to do in so little time I have to move on now with my other tasks or I will get myself into deeper trouble! Cheers, Alan.

class413, I know what root is. If you just issue the "root" command without arguments, I'm pretty sure it prints what the root device has been set to. (It may just print the default; I haven't spent a lot of time in the Grub shell.)

For external use only.

14 (edited by class413 2007-05-30 10:09:39)

@ SheeEttin

I understand that many of us had the 'grub' prompt and the minimal shell. I didn't know about it, until yesterday evening: I had it me too, when I tried to boot the old desktop (pentium 133MHz 10-year old) from the Live CD (the last one, about 2 weeks ago).

But this was not every time I booted the computer: sometimes it didn't boot from the cd and went to the hd (with w95). I went to that grub prompt when I pressed the "pause" key during POST, and pressed the space bar after to continue to the boot process.

The configuration of this old pc is:
Pentium-S 133 MHz. RAM 64MB, CDROM drive (Toshiba, I think),
SVGA S3 (4MB ram), 3 Hard drives IDE (2GB, 3GB, 2GB),
serial mouse, keyboard (old-time DIN connector), USB pci card, Intel Etherexpress 10+ network adapter.
(actual OS: windows 95 second edition).

by the way, on my new desktop pc (core duo 6600) I hadn't that. I had another problem, that I posted here, some days ago, waiting for any ideas:
http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=687

Thanks.

15 (edited by lothei 2007-06-03 15:13:30)

I have the same problem, i get the grub prompt (minimal bash like....) when I try to start live cd on my computer (with external usb cdrom drive), I tried :
- same cd on my laptop --> Ok
- same cd/same computer/ but using VirtualBox --> Ok
So cd is working, I just cant use it on this computer, and don't know why

I also tried downloading and burning cd again, with no success

edit :
When I type root command I get :
(hd31): Filesystem type unknown, using whole disk
When i try root (hd0) to root (hd2) I get same message (I got 3 hd)
When i try root (hd3) I get :
Selected disk does not exist

GRUB is terrible to run as a boot loader on Live media. Why do you guys think Ubuntu, SUSE, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, Debian, KNOPPIX, etc..., all use syslinux?

Your computer either works with GRUB or it don't. There is no fixing it. Your better off asking these guys to use syslinux again.

When is the last time GRUB was even updated. Years?

Patrick Verner
www.partedmagic.com

lothel, try root (hdx,y), where x is the drive number (counting from zero) and y is the partition number (counting from zero).

For external use only.

I tried root (hd0,0) up to (hd2,0), these are my 3 hd, no disc drive there. And root (hd3,0) which could have been my cdrom drive, does not work (Selected disk does not exist).
I think it's because it's an external drive, and is not working with grub, as it worked perfectly with parted magic and syslinux.