Topic: lost space on the linux partition

I wanted to devide my suse linux / partition on a SCSI drive (146MB). It was previously split into 2, and 70 GB was allocated to linux (reiserfs) which i used for about 2 years (started with suse version 9, currently using 10.1). I had about 20GB used and 50GB free on it before i tried GParted to split 70GB suse / partition into 27 and 43GB. I downloaded livecd version 0.2.5-5, it started ok but during resizing the GParted window suddenly disappeared. I restarted GParted, it showed that i had now 63 GB used and 7GB free on this disk. Under Suse it shows that 7GB is free and 20GB used, though Partitioner under Yast says 70Gb total. How can I restore my missing 43 Gb?

Re: lost space on the linux partition

fastest wat to repair everything is to shrink the partition again with only 50MiB.
that will repair everything.

then.. i am interested in WHY gparted did crash, can you try everything again, but start gparted from a terminal this time? Maybe something usefull will be spit to the stdout.

thanks

ok, started /usr/bin/gparted. Tried to shrink /dev/sdb6 from 69.58 GB to 69.38GB. The gparted window disappeared again, with the following error message in the terminal:

=================
libparted: 1.7.1
=================
Unable to open /dev/hdc read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/hdc has been opened read-only.
Unable to open /dev/hdc - unrecognised disk label.

gtkmm-ERROR **: file treeiter.cc: line 214 (const Gtk::TreeNodeChildren& Gtk::TreeRow::children() const): assertion failed: (!is_end_)
aborting...
Aborted.

ah, that's a known error which is fixed in CVS.
I think it's best if you wait for the new release before trying anything else with gparted.

For the moment you can regain your 'lost space' by using CLI tools. What filesystem is on this partition?

sorry for a late reply...

i managed to restore my lost 43 gb after running gparted again (afair, without scsi modules activated). Although on the second attempt of shrinking by 50 mb gparted still isuued the same error message, suse nevertheless showed the disk recovered.

the filesystem is reiserfs.

thank you for your help.