1 (edited by klein66 2022-08-24 05:03:23)

Topic: [SOLVED] gparted win10 i'm missing something!

good day   
i recently bought a used surface pro 5 used. reconditioned with a fresh install of windows 10 pro.
i wonted to shrink the c:/ portion, but didn't feel comfortable shrinking it with windows.
so i booted Debian 11 (cb++11) live usb opened gparted and resized c:/ saved it.
rebooted into window, i was surprised when windows didn't complain that something had changed and didn't run ckdis before going into windows. i then went in and looked at the the ssd in windows nothing has changed ...
i booted back into  Debian 11 (cb++11) live usb and gparted showed my portions were still there
so gparted wrote portion information some where, but windows is not using it?
i'v never seen this happen before, any help or direction would be greatly appreciated .

this is what windows 10 shows me
can only post one link

and this is what gparted is showing me
https://transfer.sh/C8WNEY/two.png

and i'm kinda afraid to touch it at this point with out some more wisdom.

Re: [SOLVED] gparted win10 i'm missing something!

I downloaded a Windows 10 virtual machine from Microsoft.  It had a single NTFS partition on an MSDOS partitioned disk.  I booted into GParted Live 1.4.0 and re-partitioned the drive.  Then back into Windows 10.  It displayed the drive as expected.

I don't know what to think with your symptoms.

Some suggestions:
1. Backup the data you care about
2. Use Windows Disk Management to shrink the Windows partitions
3. Install Linux in the free space (as that is what you appear to be trying to do)

--

Pictures from my test

Windows 10 Disk Management before
GParted before
GParted after
Windows 10 Disk Management after

i went in and disable fast boot, rebooted and there were all the portions i set up with gparted.
i have spent many hours reading, more ms doc, web pages and nothing ever suggested disabling fast boot.

Thank you for your research and finding the answer.