Topic: Setting to match HIGH Screen Resolution

Hello all,

Maybe I am missing it, but is there a setting we can select at the launch of GParted that would make the working window and font larger?

I have a 13.3 inch screen with a native resolution of 3200 x 1800.

The working window on this computer is pretty tiny at the moment for me.

If there isn't, could we get support for "Very High" screen resolutions please?

Thanks

Re: Setting to match HIGH Screen Resolution

A native resolution of 3200x1800 on a 13.3 inch screens suggests that you have a High Dots Per Inch (HiDPI) screen.

Support for HiDPI screens on GNU/Linux is underway for some desktops like the latest GNOME 3.x and KDE 5.x and the underlying libraries, but is far from prevalent.

GParted is based on GTKMM 2.x which does not support HiDPI.  It is a major undertaking to migrate to GTKMM 3.x so this is unlikely to happen in the near future unless someone devotes some serious effort into the task.

There is already a bug report open for the migration to GTKMM 3.x.  See Bug 652044 - uses deprecated APIs.  This would be required before HiDPI support could be considered.

Thanks for the reply gedakc.

I DID find this thread:

http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=13274

. . . and attempted to use "Run Forcevideo" mode and the VESA video driver, and tried selecting something at least a little higher res, but GParted simply hangs after the selections.

I am not sure if it is the fact that the computer has the "Optimus" technology or not that is causing the problem there.
I did try the "nv' driver and various other setting combinations (colour bit levels too) and nothing seemed to work.

I believe it is defaulting to the onboard intel graphics though I can't be sure.

It is a newer laptop with the Skylake chipset which is causing a little bit of an issue for some of the latest iterations of Linux distributions but the community seems to be working through them.  I am not sure if that is translating to Gparted as well or not.

I can still use Gparted (Thankfully), it's just getting a bit small to work comfortably with.

If you have any other suggestions in the mean time, I am all ears.

I just thought you might like to know what I've tired and what was the result.

Cheers.

We are downstream of the Debian Live (Sid) distribution and we only pick up those updates when we create the next release of GParted Live, which is about every two or three months.

I believe your screen is HiDPI and the GParted application does not have any additional support for HiDPI displays.

If you could force a screen resolution such as 1024 x 768 then you would at least see a larger image.

As I had mentioned, I tried some of the options that were there:

GMHilltop wrote:

. . . and attempted to use "Run Forcevideo" mode and the VESA video driver, and tried selecting something at least a little higher res, but GParted simply hangs after the selections.

. . . but none of the higher resolutions I try seem to work.
If I use the Defaults and simply click "Enter" all the way through the start process it runs, but at the default resolution which is very tiny.

I am not sure what options to select in order to get to the higher resolution - I've tired every combination of resolution, Colour Depth, and graphics card combination.  Nothing seems to work.

I am not sure what the default startup option is using as a graphics driver, but whatever it is it does work.  I just can't change the resolution size to get a larger image.

Suggestions?

You might try a different GNU/Linux distribution with a different desktop.

A workaround to this issue was posted by another forum user:

[Solved] Font size too small