Topic: Copy progress?

I'm guessing that I'm probably not the first person to have mentioned this, but it would be Nice, if there was something shown (like fer instance a progress bar) during a partition copy operation which would indicate either the amount completed or else, better still, an estimated time to completion for the copy.

Re: Copy progress?

What version of GParted are you using?

The newer versions of GParted (most recent is 0.18.0) include a copy progress bar and a time estimate for the copy to complete.  See Sample Applying Pending Operations.

Ummm... I'm now using the latest, gparted-live-0.18.0-2-amd64.iso.

Yes, there is a kind of a "progress bar" showing the number of "Completed Operations".  But I am just simply copying one rather large partition from one drive to another, and it is only showing me "0 of 1 operations completed".  It is not showing me how much of the current (large and time consuming) copy operation has been completed so far.

Am I doing something wrong?

P.S.  The example screen shot you pointed me at seems to show a partition move operation... not an actual partition copy operation.

It is certainly a Good Thing[tm] if there is now a progress bar for move operations.  Are there plans to implement the same also for copy operations someday?

I just tried copying a partition containing a btrfs file system and I see both the the copy progress bar and the completed operations progress bar.

What type of file system are you copying?

gedakc wrote:

I just tried copying a partition containing a btrfs file system and I see both the the copy progress bar and the completed operations progress bar.

What type of file system are you copying?

NTFS

6 (edited by gedakc 2014-05-13 18:11:19)

To copy ntfs file systems, GParted uses the ntfsclone command.

You might investigate the following in-progress bug report and help by testing the latest patches:

Bug 467925 - gparted: add progress bar during operation

EDIT:  I'm fairly certain that progress bars were implemented for copying ntfs partitions.  However, when I create an NTFS partition and test a copy, the operation runs quickly and there is not enough elapsed time to see a progress bar.

You might want to open a terminal window and run "ps -ef | grep ntfsclone" to see if the ntfsclone process exists.

EDIT2:  With asynchronous execution of the commands in GParted, you can expand the details pane and watch the progress of the command while it executes.

gedakc wrote:

EDIT:  I'm fairly certain that progress bars were implemented for copying ntfs

I can only reiterate what I saw, which was an utter absence of any such progress indication.

Are you suggesting that I should clean my glasses?

However, when I create an NTFS partition and test a copy, the operation runs quickly and there is not enough elapsed time to see a progress bar.

May I, with all respect, suggest that you try again with a larger NTFS partition and/or a slower source or target drive?

8 (edited by gedakc 2014-05-14 17:25:34)

ronbaby wrote:
gedakc wrote:

EDIT:  I'm fairly certain that progress bars were implemented for copying ntfs

I can only reiterate what I saw, which was an utter absence of any such progress indication.

Are you suggesting that I should clean my glasses?

I'm not suggesting you clean your glasses.

In my second edit I suggested expanding the details to see the output from the command used to copy ntfs (ntfsclone).

EDIT:  We appreciate when persons, such as yourself, can dig further into an issue.  This enables us to continue work on other fronts at the same time.  That is why I also mentioned the bug report that includes improvements to progress reporting.

gedakc wrote:

In my second edit I suggested expanding the details to see the output from the command used to copy ntfs (ntfsclone).

EDIT:  We appreciate when persons, such as yourself, can dig further into an issue.  This enables us to continue work on other fronts at the same time.  That is why I also mentioned the bug report that includes improvements to progress reporting.

If I can be of help, then I feel an obligation to do so.  However before i start performing further analysis, tests, experiments, and what not, I feel that it would be appropriate if first we can find at least one person who can replicate the issue/problem that I've already found and reported.  If that's not possible... if nobody in the universe can reproduce what I believe I saw, then we can all save ourselves a lot of time and bother and just assume that yes, I actually do need to clean my glasses.

Would it be possible for you or someone else working on Gparted to try... with the same official release that I noted earlier in this thread (0.18.2)... to perform a copy of a sizable NTFS partition from one disk to another, where at least one of the two is not, um, ultra fast (such as an SSD)?

It is certainly possible, but is low on my list as I am preparing for another release.  The natural place where this can be picked up is in the progress bar bug report mentioned earlier in this thread.