1 (edited by zipR 2006-10-18 21:00:14)

Topic: Solved: Unallocated space 'attached' to wrong partition

I've got a NFTS formatted hard drive with a couple of partitions (neither is a boot drive.)
I want to increase the size of one by taking space from the other partition. 

This is what I did:
Resized down the partition that I wanted to take space from.
Moved the info on that partition so the unallocated space is now between the two partitions.

So it looks like this:

Partition I want to increase * Unallocated Space * Partition I've reduced in size

The problem is I can't add the unallocated space to the partition I want to.  I can add it back to the one I took it from (on the right) no problem (graphically, there's a box connecting the unallocated space and the partition I made it from). 

How do I add it to the partition on the left?

Thanks for any help!

Re: Solved: Unallocated space 'attached' to wrong partition

download, burn and try the LAST livecd iso : it will work smile

Your version might be a bit expired :-p

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Is there a newer version than gparted-livecd-0.3.1-1.iso? That's the version I'm using, which I downloaded from here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile … _id=173828

Perhaps this may have something to do with it.  When I look at the info on the gparted screen, it tells me:
Partition:     File system:     Size:        Used:     Unused:     Flags:
/dev/hdb1    ntfs                37.01GB   36.94GB  77.38MB                   (This is the one I want to grow)
/dev/hdb2    extended        18.9GB     --            --             LBA
/dev/hdb5    ntfs                18.9GB     1.88GB    17.02GB                   (This is the one I want to shrink)

Does the 'extended' line have anything to do with why when I shrink the hdb5 I can't add the unallocated space to hdb1?  None of these are boot drives, btw...

After you have shrink the partition ntfs, you ALSO need to shrink the extended partition, right ?
Please, past the out put of the following command :
# fdisk -ul

thx

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:

After you have shrink the partition ntfs, you ALSO need to shrink the extended partition, right ?
Please, past the out put of the following command :
# fdisk -ul

thx

That was it.  I didn't understand what the extended partition was, and didn't try to resize it.

Perhaps the tutorial could be updated to show how to take from one partition and add to another as I had to do?  I would think that that would be the most likey scenario for people using this...

Thanks for a great utility btw!

zipR wrote:

Perhaps the tutorial could be updated to show how to take from one partition and add to another as I had to do?  I would think that that would be the most likey scenario for people using this...

yeah : i will try to do this, ... when i got sometimes ! Good idea anyway.

Larry
GParted-project Admin