Topic: Which CPU arch is this distro for?

Your distro image file name "gparted-live-0.3.9-4.iso" syas nothing about platform. Is it for PowerPC?

2 (edited by stormhead 2008-10-03 22:28:52)

Re: Which CPU arch is this distro for?

Hi!

It is compiled for x86-based machines - at least it runs smoothly and natively on those.
Since the software included on the LiveCD is open source, it should be possible to build the whole toolset for PowerPC (and create a PowerPC iso), but I don't know if anyone has ever done this.

3 (edited by paul_mcl 2008-10-03 23:21:37)

Very strange. I heard about HFS support and started to think it's for mac desktops. Also, I've compiled 2.6.27-rc8 kernel for ppc 3 days ago then made initrd then configured yaboot. Works fine, now writing from that system. What more can I do to make ppc version of this livecd? Are there any file/binary/package lists?

4 (edited by stormhead 2008-10-03 23:24:39)

Hi!

paul_mcl wrote:

Very strange. I heard about HFS support and started to think it's for mac desktops.

As far as I know, HFS(+) is also used on intel-based Macs (those should be able to boot the LiveCD). And in addition to this, you can use any filesystem on an USB hard drive - so you can in fact stumble upon a HFS formatted hard drive on your (Windows) PC...

Is there any file/binary/package listing?

From the Release Notes for the GParted LiveCD 0.3.9-4:

The release notes for GParted Live 0.3.9-4:
  [...]
  - Based on Debian lenny on Oct/1/2008. Kernel 2.6.26-5 is used now.

As far as I know, Debian also supports the PowerPC architecture - so maybe you can use some püackages from the Debian FTP servers; this would reduce your amount of work. Furthermore, you should find a file named packages.txt in the root directory of the LiveCD (and of the LiveUSB directoty structure) - this file lists the Debian packages installed on the Live media (including their version and a short description - this file *somewhat* looks like a dpkg -l dump... ;-) )

5 (edited by paul_mcl 2008-10-04 00:15:56)

Okay, added dpkg and apt to my self-made distro. The problem is that I have no intel x86 machines so I can't boot current version of gparted. And there's no fast free emulator (QEMU is very very very slow).

6 (edited by stormhead 2008-10-04 00:28:25)

Hi!

Yes, QEMU is slow... but why do you need an x86 emulator? I thought you're going to build a GParted lice media for PowerPC - or did I get you wrong?
If it is only to get your handas on the package list: This is  plain text file, readable on any operating system or CPU architecture. It is contained in the LiveCD as well as on the LiveUSB - nd you can get this file easily without booting the Live media on an x86 machine or in an emulator:
- Burn the LiveCD ISO, then open the resulting CD. The package list is foud in the CD's root folder;
or
- Mount the LiveCD ISO to a directory of your choice (if your operating system supports this; you'll have to use the loop device and be root for this on Linux). . Then, simply copy the package list from the mount point to wherever you want;
or
- Open the ISO in a tool written specifically for this purpose (on a Windows box, IsoBuster would come to my mind - no idea if something similar exists for Mac), and then extract the package list to wherever you want;
or
- Unzip the LiveUSB zip archive (an unzip tool should be available on any operating system and CPU architecture). This will create a set of files and directories in your current working directory - and the "root" of these newly created directories contains the package list.

7 (edited by paul_mcl 2008-10-04 01:33:40)

Well, I'll try to mount this image as loop device and collect any required package. Where can I report any success? Is it possible to my "GParted-PPC" will be added as official port (or it's future is fork-only)?

The webpage http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
was updated. Thanks.
As for if your "GParted-PPC" will be added as an official port, when you have done that, contact Larry (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/contact.php). He is the boss in this project.