1 (edited by h2 2006-09-22 23:43:04)

Topic: Thanks Patrick and company for great work!

I've been using the livecd for a while now, but this latest version really is fantastic.

Move support is awesome, I just tested it on a fairly complex, multistep resizing/move, and it all worked fine. I resized/moved swap, /, and /home, and it worked great.

The partitions in this case are reiserfs, and there were no errors.

I also resized an external usb 2 ext3 drive, and although it took forever [about 6 hours I think], it had no problems either [ 120 -> ~200 GB, with roughly 80 gB of data ].

The work you and your team did on the resize/move improvements is immediately noticeable, I've been using  gparted livecd since 0.1 and the latest 0.3.1 release is really smooth.

I read the site change log, and now want to test more features, especially ntfs copy. That will enable me to create, hopefully anyway, more or less plug and play backups of primary w2k/xp os installs, far easier to restore than more awkward backups in the case of a full disk failure.

Again, thanks for the ongoing great work, and for this really excellent tool. Now that move/resize is fully functional, a good tool has now become even better.

Maybe this will motivate the qtparted authors to pick up speed a bit and put out a working partitioning tool, their's has been essentially useless for at least a year now.

Re: Thanks Patrick and company for great work!

thanks smile

Re: Thanks Patrick and company for great work!

Maybe this should become the default "praise be" post

Also, in the 1% chance posting here would matter:

==>  Everyone should read the sticky!  And yes, it's worth it to burn the newest version!

Real user story:  I was using a LiveCD with /ISOLINUX/BOOT.CAT dated June 24, 2006, booting a ultraportable laptop via external USB CD/DVD drive.  I was getting the "device not found" " Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!" error listed elsewhere.  All problems are fixed with the Sept 11 2006 version--it works much much better

So, thanks to everyone working on this!  Positive vibrations eminating from NE Tokyo