Topic: Gparted program vs. live cd?

Hi guys. I'm just curious, what is the difference between downloading GParted itself or the Live CD version? It was my understanding that you can't repartition a drive unless you're using a Live CD anyway, so I don't understand what the other download option is.

Hope someone can clarify! Thanks!

John

Re: Gparted program vs. live cd?

Hi johnjsal,
Livecd is a stand alone soft, as you know. "The other version" as you say, is to be used within linux system running : you may have many partitions and/or drives on one machine !

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

So if I needed to repartition my Linux drives too, I would have to use the LiveCD, right? Is running the "other version" smile just if you want to change drives other than where it is being run?

johnjsal wrote:

So if I needed to repartition my Linux drives too, I would have to use the LiveCD, right? Is running the "other version" smile just if you want to change drives other than where it is being run?

Yes : you cant resize the running system since it is mounted. In tihs case you need to run GParted from another running system. either you have other linux sytems running on your machine, either you have to run GParted from the livecd, or from a livecd that will run itsself GParted.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Ok, now I understand. Thanks!

another reason for running the livecd is the fact it's always uptodate, using the latest gparted, libparted and filesystemplugins.