1 (edited by jerry1 2006-07-31 22:16:09)

Topic: Gparted Live CD -- how to designate mount points?

Hello, I guess i am the first guy to know about  this forum so here goes. hehe, I guess I spoke to soon, the other guy beat me to it by a few minutes... wink

I am looking for how to choose the type of mount point for the partition I am trying to create?

If you can show me step by step how I go about doing this in Gparted.

Have been using linux since redhat 9 in 2003. So, i'm not a total newbie.

I saw a screenshot of this where it shows mount point in a tab, but on my system it doesn't show this designation on the tabs above the partition.

My appologies, this is in wrong subforum, should have put it in the live media section.

Re: Gparted Live CD -- how to designate mount points?

Hi jerry1 smile
I am using red hat and now fc (or centos) too.
I think you are running a someold version of gparted. The feature you mention is recent.
Which version do you use ?

larry

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

jerry1 wrote:

I am looking for how to choose the type of mount point for the partition I am trying to create?

what do you mean by 'type of mountpoint' ?

jerry1 wrote:

I saw a screenshot of this where it shows mount point in a tab, but on my system it doesn't show this designation on the tabs above the partition.

where did you see this screenshot and what do you mean by 'tab'?

Are you referring to the 'mount' menuitem, which holds a submeny with mountpoints?

jerry1 wrote:

My appologies, this is in wrong subforum, should have put it in the live media section.

I'm not sure about that, till i understand your actual question we can leave it here wink

5 (edited by jerry1 2006-08-01 01:03:56)

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

This is where I saw the screenshots.

I just downloaded Gparted Live CD today from your site.

I like gparted because it lets me choose the whole range of partition types like reiser4 ext3 and others.

Actually, my view of gparted looks like the second screenshot.

I made the comment about the first screenshot, because my view of gparted doesn't have the mountpoint info.

I am using freespire, because is the only OS that lets me try reiser4 out of the box, though I just had an accident with reiser4, so I think I am being a little conservative until  it is accepted into linux distros.

So I think I will stick with reiser3 or ext3 and wait it out.

Plus freespire incudes gparted in the distro off the live cd portion to partition drive.

I decided to try the live cd (gparted) because  I had the same problem with gparted on the freespire cd.

actually, all I want to do is creat /root /boot /home and swap partitions with gparted.

ah ok, you mean the 'column' mountpoints smile
That one is only visible if at least on partition is mounted OR some corresponding mountpoints were found in /etc/fstab.
This means that on the livecd you will see no mountpoints.. unless you manually mount a partition and refresh te view.

GParted is a partitioneditor and will not let you create mountpoints and/or adding them to /etc/fstab. You can only manipulate partitions en their filesystems.

Hi plors, thanks for the reply.  What would you recommend I use to partition the hard drive from scratch so that I will have /boot /root swap /home.

The reason I ask is because I am trying to install freespire distro and the installer has gparted as an option

Actually, the standard install doesn't let you setup this info, it just creates a single partition with reiserfs.

So, what would you recommend I use?

I thought that using the LiveCD would allow to use a more current version of gparted.

ok, many thanks for your time in helping me out.

sincerely, jerry

you can use gparted to create any partition you want.

But you have to edit /etc/fstab by hand to add the mountpoints and stuff. However i think your distro's installer will take care of this.