Topic: Resized Initial 250GB Partition to 50GB / 200GB-Event Viewer Error-XP

Hello all,

This was my 1st time using this software and everything worked excellent initially...  Current Setup:

Windows XP SP2 With all latest Updates
250GB SATA HD

My intent was to cut the 250GB HD into two separate Partitions as I forgot during my initial install of XP.

Currently I have:

C drive @ 32.7GB
D drive ( DVD RW )
E drive @ 200GB

I came across this software as I've been diving more and more into the Linux software as of late.

However the issue I have run into is a repeated error in my even logs which is as follows:

Source: Disk
Type: Warning
User: N/A
Event ID: 51

Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
I guess im just not understanding the error correctly as the D drive is my DVD drive?
I have done some research for myself and have been unable to come up with anything.  I'm hoping someone here can offer any sort of advise?!  Thank you in advance!!

Re: Resized Initial 250GB Partition to 50GB / 200GB-Event Viewer Error-XP

This is rather not related to any partition issues. It is a generic message. The cause could be a hardware problem (motherboard, controller, hard drive, even a data cable).
Harddisk1 is the second hard drive (the first one is 0 in windows numbering). If you have just a hard drive, this becomes mysterious.

Normally there is a lot of info (hex values) with this message in the log, that could help to trace the origin of the problem.
I think you have to perform tests on your hardware to see if something is defective.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

There is some hex data with the message.  Any insight as to how to make use of the hex data?

0000: 04 00 68 00 01 00 b6 00   ..h...¶.
0008: 00 00 00 00 33 00 04 80   ....3..€
0010: 2d 01 00 00 00 00 00 00   -.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0020: 00 ae 37 bc 00 00 00 00   .®7¼....
0028: 7b e9 98 05 00 00 00 00   {é˜.....
0030: ff ff ff ff 03 00 00 00   ÿÿÿÿ....
0038: 40 00 00 84 02 00 00 00   @..„....
0040: 00 20 0a 12 80 01 20 40   . ..€. @
0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00   ........
0050: 00 e0 05 85 10 ba 42 85   .

I forgot to mention that I do have a external 250GB drive attached as well via USB.  I am running error checking on that drive as I type this.  Why would the error reference \D if the USB drive is in fact the disk with issues when it is actually drive f?  Thanks for replies!

This "\D" doesn't necessarily reference any "disk" or partition, I think. I mean it has nothing to do with "D:" that is a partition in the mswindows system. If you search in the net on this Event ID: 51, you will find also \DR0, \DR9, that obviously couldn't be partition names.

It isn't "error", it is a warning. There was a momentary problem, but the system persisted and a moment later performed the operation successfully. That's why it is a "warning", otherwhise it would be critical error, fatal error etc. The hex values are useful to the ms technical support technicians. There is some info in the microsoft knowledge database (you can search there), but I wonder how someone without special windows experience would take profit.

You could look for test software for your disk units in the web pages of the manufacturers (i.e. seagate, western digital etc), eventually for your motherboard too. Sometimes, a bad cable can cause these problems (it often occured in ATA hard disks, with the wide ribbon cables. Verify that all cables are firmly attached to their sockets.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Ok, I have ran Windows error checking and also Seagates Error checking on both the system Drive and the External Drive.....All Tests came back pass.  I guess you are right that it is just a warning.  My main concern is that the error almost follows a pattern.  As everyday for past couple weeks its shows up about 2 x per day.  Do you know if "...during a Paging Operation " refers to the Paging file or if it referencing Memory I/O's?  I will make sure all cables are correctly installed here shortly.  Thanks for your help.

I found the following link
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/12946/
that refers to this event id51 issue. Something is told about a hot fix for xp. You could check if it has to do with your issue.