Topic: Running live CD, cannot mount ntfs

I want to resize the windows (ntfs) partition on an HP laptop and install one or more linux distros.  The message I get from Gparted is "cannot mount /dev/hda1, i/o error".

Also, when I choose "eject and reboot" from the shutdown menu, it only ejects.  I've tried shutting down from the command line too, and no dice.  Just sits there and doesn't respond.  Do I need to try another download and iso burn?

Thanks for any and all advice,

John

Re: Running live CD, cannot mount ntfs

jdowney wrote:

I want to resize the windows (ntfs) partition on an HP laptop and install one or more linux distros.  The message I get from Gparted is "cannot mount /dev/hda1, i/o error".

I think you're not getting this error from gparted, but from the livecd. Please check this and tell us wether it's a livecd or a gpartedissue.
If it's a livecdissue, this topic should be moved to the live* forum.

My mistake, by all means move it.  It is running from the live CD, not from a HD installation, but I had assumed it was a Gparted problem rather than a live CD problem (the not mounting hda1 that is).

Thanks
John

Try http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd_t … -04-06.iso

I think both issues are fixed.

5 (edited by jdowney 2006-08-07 05:29:33)

[Solved]

I used an old Suse 9.2 installation disk, had the same error but it told me there was a bad sector and to try running chkdsk in Windows to fix it.  That did it, now both my live CD and the Suse CD will mount the drive.

I'm still going to try that link though, as I would like a CD that shuts down properly.

Thanks,
John

(not sure how to add the [solved] to the title, can't seem to edit it)