Topic: [SOLVED] Ablility to create and modify xfs and ntfs partitions

I am using version 0.3.3 that comes with Ubuntu 7.10 live-cd. According to Features dialog it can not e.g. create xfs or ntfs partitions.

Re: [SOLVED] Ablility to create and modify xfs and ntfs partitions

0.3.3 is more than a year old. The 0.3.4 (livecd) versions do much more, and 0.3.5 is already out.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

But, I even 0.1 could do more for xfs and ntfs according to its respective dialog, if I remember right.

I don't know about the Gparted implementation in 7.10. I will try to run the install live cd later. Hopefully, I have it ready.
Anyway, ntfs and xfs have no native support by libparted, so there are ntfsprogs and xfsprogs that do the work. Right, as you write above, these filesystems were supported well before 0.3.3. Perhaps there is just an error in the image that displays version features. The table in the main Gparted site is much more up to date.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

5 (edited by jarnos 2008-02-24 19:34:07)

Actually, I said wrong in the first message. Sorry about my inaccuracy before. There is more support stated in the Features dialog gparted in Ubuntu linux 7.10 Live CD. But when I ran gparted in installed Xubuntu linux 7.10 system, the xfs and ntfs (and maybe more) support were missing. However, after I installed packages ntfsprogs and xfsprogs, I see more features supported for the respective filesystems. Even more suggested packages can be seen by command "aptitude show gparted": xfsprogs, reiserfsprogs, reiser4progs, jfsutils, ntfsprogs. Thanks for the hint about the extra packages.