1 (edited by Evil 2007-08-30 02:21:54)

Topic: can i re-organise the partition names??

Hey everyone! this has probably been posted but im very sorry for the repost if it has been,

i use WinXP and have tested Ubuntu with my g card on a seperate drive...id like for me to be able to use just linux cus i think the system is just better in almost every aspect apart from when i once formatted a hdd i did a partition using gprated ( this came with ubuntu) it was some time ago but i hated pushing down on the gpart selection boot screen to go to my xp boot, is there anyway of changing this so my windows partition should be first??

i once again appologies if it has alredy been posted...i dont want to be mean but i wudnt like the responses of "its been here before" :S

any reply wether yes or no would be appreciated and if a yes could there be an explanation of how to do it??

n i appologies for my poor poor english but i use msn lmao

Evil

Re: can i re-organise the partition names??

I don't understand very well what you want.
I think there is no need to change the order of the partitions in the partition table, if it is that you mean.
Linux understands and names partitions in a precise manner for each drive (the first 4 numbers are for the 4 primary partitions and numbers 5 and above are for the logical partitions in an extended partition.

If you already had windows in your first hard drive before installing Linux, the windows partition would be the first.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

well last time when i did it my linux one would be first, i usually switch my pc on in a morning n walk away for breakfast while it boots, n if it does the "auto boot" n boots into linux i have to then wait till it loads....then restart again.
the reason i want to re organise to get windows first is this

I think you speak rather about the bootloader (grub ? )
If so, it would be better to ask in a special forum like linuxquestions.org .
You can find many things in the page
http://pixellany.com/boot.html
(I found it in LinuxQuestions too).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

i c, i auto asumed it was part of ur (Gparted) software as it comes with it, ty for stearing me in the right direction smile

Grub is a software installed in most Linux (or multi-boot) systems, to tell the computer where it will find the various parts to boot a system. Gparted includes its own version, installed on the LiveCD. The one you use to boot your O.S. is another copy, installed on your hard disk.

Hi,

I think i have a similar problem like this.

I have a disk, lets call it /dev/sda, with one large partition, /dev/sda1 , that fill it completely. For various reasons i would like to shrink that partition and move it to the top of the disk. Freeing up the initial part and insert a new partition there that i would like to call /dev/sda1 and the old one /dev/sda2.

But when i do this the new partition gets the name /dev/sda2 independant of its location. Ie i get

/dev/sda2 from say sector 63 to  96389
/dev/sda1 from sector  96390 to the end.

If i ran the old (Unix) fdisk program it has an advanced option  f that "fixes partition order". Is there anyway i can get gparted to do this? And since i suspect that this is not available in the UI. Does the underlaying implementation support it? (A pointer on where to look if one would like to implement it)

/Tor