Topic: [SOLVED] Need help: Resizing XP partition on SATA laptop

Hello,

What I am trying to do is resize an NTFS partion on a HP NC6320 laptop. It has a Core Duo processor, with anIntel 82801 GBM SATA ahci controller. (If you need more information about the computer, I can give that to you.)

Our problem is this. The machine has an 80GB drive, but when it was re-imaged, the image put on the machine is only 40GB, so there is all sorts of unallocated space to use.

However, when I tried using GParted to resize the partition, it worked correctly once, I think, then after that it will refuse to run. We ended up having to re-image the machine again to get it working again. I tried choosing different SATA controllers to see if that made a difference, but as far as we could tell it didn't, the machine would still not work after working once, at best.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get this to work? It would be REALLY appreciated, as we've got about 200 of these laptops like this, and since they are already in the users hands, we don't want to make them start over by blowing away what they have!

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Re: [SOLVED] Need help: Resizing XP partition on SATA laptop

which version of gparted did you use and what do you mean by 'it refused to run' ?

I downloaded and used version 0.2.5-5 of GParted Live CD.

What I mean by not running, is that after the one time we got it to work, XP would start to boot, then blue screen. Every time. I don't have the machine sitting in front of me right now, but if you need more details I can get you more details.

Thanks again!

Dave

That's ok : 0.2.5.5 didnt finish the work after moving ntfs : some operations on boot setor are needed : this has been fixed in 0.3! Give it a try, please.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Well, we've tried 0.3-1 on a few machines now, and so far the machines are working! Thanks for your help!

Okay, hate to admit it, but I don't know how to change the subject to add [SOLVED]?