Topic: [Solved]g Parted doesnt mount USB Stick again

Hello,
Yesterday I wanted to format my USB Stick cause it was annoying that there was a very little fat32 Partition and a big NTFS Partition on it, so that it always mounted twice.

So far was erverthing ok, I formatted the Ntfs partition to fat32 and delete the very little one.
But afterwards I didnt know how to put them together, cause they were mounted twice.
I disconnected the Stick but after putting it back gparted didnt recognize it again.
I rebooted several time but with no result. sad
Teh only thing I recognized was that the LED of the Stick wasblinking the wohle time after putting it back! (Blinking = s.th. going on)

I also mounted it on my windows system and it work... o_O

I really dont know whats going on wrong, hopefully someone can give me an advice!

Many regards
BiBaBenjo

Re: [Solved]g Parted doesnt mount USB Stick again

Any further info? What type of usb stick? How exactly did you format and delete partitions?
Some devices (especially older ones) can't be partitioned, just formatted. Some newer devices contain firmware that simulates a hard disk device.
USB sticks often come with a dedicated formatting program.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hi,
I have a 2 GB SafeStick by Powerram. I bought it I think a year ago, so it doesn't seem to be an old one. There was no special software delivered with it!

I booted gparted with the vesa driver, selected each of the partitions and formatted the big one into fat32 and the small one (it was fat32) formatted and 2 MB big.
I also tried to put a fat32 system on the small one but failed. Afterwards I disconnected the stick because I thought the unformatted partition could now be mounted with the formatted one.
After that point gparted didnt recognize the stick again.
The only thing that happend was, that gparted tried to mount it but couldnt (the stick's light was blinking all the time).

Thanks alot so far!
BiBaBenjo

What this small partition had inside?
Any drivers perhaps???

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

hm... when I think about it again... probably yes... sad
Damn it!
Perhaps I ll get the drivers on the companies' hp.
Are they needed for gparted? Because Windows and Ubuntu mount the USB stick without any problems!
(of course just the formatted partition)

Gparted works on devices with a hard disk type structure. If this partition contained eventually some info needed by the firmware, then deleting it could be the cause of such problems.

7 (edited by BiBaBenjo 2007-11-09 21:42:50)

Yes you were right.
I took a special software from the company and now it works!
Tahnks alot for your support! I love g parted xD

Problem solved!
smile