Topic: Vista 64-bit

I have Windows Vista 64-bit and my drive is partitioned into C and D. I want to move about 20 GB from D to C.

I haven't seen anywhere that GParted works explicitly with Vista 64-bit.
Does GParted work with 64-bit Vista?

Is there anything special I need to know when making the reallocation so as not to screw up my system?

Thanx!
Ch@zZ

Re: Vista 64-bit

With vista, you can use its own partition manager to modify your ntfs partitions. It seems to be the easiest solution, if it works (I don't know if it can move the start point of a partition).

I think that the ntfs filesystem is the same with 32 and 64 bit vista (I think so, because I've never heard about any other filesystem used by 64-bit vista). In any case, you need to use the original vista dvd to "repair" the filesystem after resizing, in the case you use vista.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I haves just tried to resize partitions and add a new logical one with a PC running with Vista. Everything went fine, but now I cannot boot properly any more: It starts the BIOS over and over again, no sign of Windows Vista any more.
@ class413: What do you mean by "use the original vista dvd to "repair" the filesystem after resizing"?

Could anyone please give me an advise, because I am quite reluctant to format and install everything....

btw I used GParted because somehow de Windows partition manager has some problems with Dell Notebooks (there are several threads about that...)

thanks,
Wolf

The repair function is done by booting from the vista installation dvd.
There is a sticky in the Live media section, about vista partition resizing.
http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=431

Perhaps the numbering of the partitions was modified, so the windows bootloader doesn't find the boot partition.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***