Topic: Shrinking C Drive/Vista Home Premium questions

From the looks of other instructions I will need help and want to make sure I am doing this correctly along the way.

I have used Vista's Disk management to shrink the C drive as much as it would let me.  I have defragged the C drive and it shows I have over 70 gigs of free space.  Windows will not let me shrink it further???

Anyway, I normally would set up my HD with the OS in a SMALL partiion not in one 100 GIGS like Dell did and want to correct that. Storing any files in the C drive is just not a good thing IMO.

C drive has 73.6 Gigs of free space out of 104 total. I have a D drive that is a ghost of starting OS and J drive I created with Vista's  partition shrinking option. It would not let me go further than where it is now. I moved 35 gigs out but no more would show to move???

J is all files and folders only. No OS use, all just storage. I want to move as much free space from C to J and CPU mag gave GParted the heads up for this purpose but am a BIT CONFUSED reading several Vista threads here.

I would appreciate someone helping me thru it. No rush, just a reply when you get to it.

First, is this POSSIBLE and how MUCH can I expect to move to J partition?

thanks
Steve

Re: Shrinking C Drive/Vista Home Premium questions

vista, like any other windows version, needs some free disk space on the system disk to run correctly. Furthermore, if you go to under 15-20% of free disk space, the ntfs system becomes less fast.

It's better to defrag the partition before doing any resizing operation. The partitioning utility of vista is good for ntfs. I think you can try with it first, as much as it can shrink.

You can shrink a partition with Gparted LiveCD. In the case of vista, you need to repair the system after resizing, using the vista installation dvd. The following topic is about this issue (resizing vista):
http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=431

Please, give more information about your actual partitions.

(Topic moved to the Live Media section).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***