Topic: (Solved) Problem with FAT/FAT32

Hello,
I was unable to find any related topic to my problem, so... here my problem:
All the FAT/FAT32 partitions I have are shown as 'not allocated" - that is obviously wrong because the partitions are in use and work well with Windows XP.
I went in GParted/Show feature menu, and noticed red crosses in column "Read Label" for FAT and FAT32.
Is there something I can do to add these features?
Best regards
Yann

Ps: I use LiveCD 0.3.4-8 downloaded from sourceforge.

Re: (Solved) Problem with FAT/FAT32

The actual feature table shows a red "X" on read column, only for linux-swap and ufs. FAT16 and FAT32 are supported.

Are you sure you look to the right hard drive, in the case you have more that one?

Can you post a screenshot? (or, at least, write here all the information reported by Gparted on your partitions)

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

3 (edited by Jaya_n 2007-09-15 01:46:36)

Actually, i forgot to tell the device with FAT32 partition I use is an USB key.
Here is the requested screenshot:
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1673/gparted1lr6.jpg

here is the properties of the usb key as seen by windows xp.
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/479/gparted2ex0.jpg

Are you sure that this USB key can be partitioned like a hard disk?
Some of them often have no partition table, and they need a special utility program to be formatted.
I note that not all data media can be partitioned. For instance, a floppy disk can't.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

No, I do not know if it can be partitioned. Actually, I was not mean to partition the usb key. I just wanted to use it to install gparted but it has failed (even if the script told me the usb key was properly mounted). I then assume this was because gparted was unable to read the key at all.
That is why I wrote my message about FAT/FAT32.
Even if the key can not be partitioned, at last one partition exists on the key, gparted shouldn't be able to read the information concerning it?

Gparted reads partition information from a partition table, that is stored in the Master boot record (sector zero of the hard disk). If the key doesn't support this disk organisation (due to its firmware), it is not obvious that Gparted could detect any other structures in it.

It seems however that some recent keys can be partitioned with some special tools. I found the following link:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/ … Stick.html

I went to the link you provided and used the "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" to format my usb stick.
Now gparted can read the partition on the usb key and install itself on it. I can boot on the usb key and run gparted with non problem.
Thank you very much for your help.

Good news, problem solved.
smile