Topic: Can i create a partition without reinstalling XP?

Hi, pretty new to all this, but...

I have a XP PC with only one partition, i want to create another partition so that i can store my norton ghost backups there and keep them safe.

Can i use GParted to create a new partition without effecting XP and everything else that is already installed, or will i have to reinstall everything....

i.e.

i currently have 1 partition

c:\\ XP and all my software and files installed on it

I want to create:

2 partitions
c:\\ XP and all my software and files (intact)
d:\\Norton ghost backups

I'd like to do this pain free without having to install everything back in

hope this isn't a stupid question (ps may have to reply in simple terms, as i am only a simple person)
Please help!

Re: Can i create a partition without reinstalling XP?

If your actual partition takes all the disk space, you have to shrink it, to make unallocated (free) disk space, where you will create the new partition. You can do it with Gparted LiveCD. You have to find from the Ghost documentation how big your new partition has to be.

Before shrinking you must run checkdisk to fix any errors in the filesystem. Then you must defragment the partition (better to do it with virtual memory disabled), even 2 times if the drive is highly fragmented or has little free space % .

Read the documentation http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
and backup important data, in the case something goes wrong.

(Moved to the Live media section)

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***