1 (edited by ali575 2007-07-21 11:57:01)

Topic: Support GPT

Hello there,

Great work appreciated. The other day I used GParted on a disk with GPT/MBR partition scheme.
(like in Apple/Mac with partition created for MS-DOS/Linux)
The MBR partition table was updated but the GPT (GUID Partition table) was not updated by GParted.
Can gparted detect and maintain the GUID partition table. If not I wish to have the same.
Or if there is any other tool (freeware) that can sync up the MBR, GUID paritition tables.

There is rEFIt - which updated MBR based on GPT but not the other-way round sad

Thanks smile

2 (edited by krzysz00 2007-08-26 23:41:24)

Re: Support GPT

I have a windows, linux dual boot and use MBR, but i agree that would be cool

3 (edited by skodabenz 2008-04-13 15:45:49)

Please add support to create EFI SYSTEM PARTITION for systems using EFI/UEFI for both GUID Partition Table or MBR partition table support as it is said that the ESP Partition is somewhat different from FAT/FAT32 filesystem  and its GUID is also fixed irrespective of the OS or no. of partitions.

This is an excerpt from Wikipedia about ESP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_System_Partition

The EFI System Partition is a partition on a data storage device that is used by machines that adhere to the Extensible Firmware Interface. It contains the boot loader programs for all operating systems installed (in other partitions) on the device, device driver files (used by the firmware at boot time) for other devices, and system utility programs that are intended to be run before an operating system is booted.

The EFI System Partition is formatted using a variant of the FAT format.

The Globally Unique Identifier for the EFI System Partition in the GUID Partition Table scheme is C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B.

Its ID in the MBR Partition Table scheme is 0xEF.

Whether a disk contains an EFI System Partition is unrelated to the partition table scheme (GUID or MBR) that it uses.

GParted as a tool for Apple "Boot Camp" installations with mac/windows/linux would be very cool. The library libparted you are using does support GPT for a while now, doesn't it?
I also came to the limitation of refit not beeing able to rebuild the gpt after the use of GParted.