1 (edited by forku 2007-08-22 02:35:15)

Topic: I'm in trouble

I used  gparted to resize and  my partitions.on my windows xp drive.  but, now when the system boots,  windows loads and then tries to load the user's profile then suddenly it starts  "logging off". I can't get into safemode. I even tried copying my documents and settings folder to the other partition in case the drive letters changed. That didn't work either .

I read about http://www.dominok.net/en/it/en.it.clon … ettingupxp but I cant run regedit since I can't get into safe mode.  I've tried a bartpe cd but that won't let me use regedit on the system drive. got any idea's?

Re: I'm in trouble

Please, tell me in detail
1. Your system description (processors, motherboard/chipset, hard disks, optical drives, operating systems)
2. what you did for the resizing.
3. partitions (before and after).
4. What gparted shows now for your disk(s).

Booting windows in safe mode is selected by pressing a special key during bootup, very othen F8 (some motherboards and BIOS use other keys perhaps). In the safe mode you can login as "administrator".
You can boot from the xp install cd too. Then you have a special "recovery" mode, as well as "repair system" capability.

Just resizing an ntfs partition doesn't block windows bootup. The resizing of such partitions must be done according the gparted documentation, i.e. rebooting into windows just after resizing, for checks and system adjustment, at least 2 or 3 times.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***