1 (edited by Koroshi 2007-08-05 19:16:38)

Topic: Weird Accurance

Hello all,
The other day i got this great idea that i will dual boot xp sp2 with ubuntu so i used gparted to resize the NTFS partition on my C drive. All looked like it went well but when i went to boot windows it stopped loading in the transition between the windows loadin bar and welcome screen. I tried it twice and failed both times. The third time i just dicided i would reformat and reinstall windows, but halfway through, my system started displaying, what i can only explain as weird lines goin vertically up and down the screen. I would have restarted but i though if i could simpiliy reformat it would solve the problem, but it didnt. It was only when windows had almost finishd the install process that the odd occurence ceased to exist. Once windows installed i again turned the machine off and reformatted again, this time the long way, and there was no lines. I dont know what happened, and i just hope someone does. Did the process damage the hardrive? Did it damage my GPUs(im running SLI)? Or my motherboard?
Thanks

My Rig, Amd Athlon X2 +4400, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI Motherboard, (2) MSI NX6800GT in SLI, WD160GB 7200RPM SATA (Boot Drive), (2)WD36GB 10,000RPM 8mb cache Raptors, 1G value Ram

Re: Weird Accurance

The process doesn't damage anything from the hardware.
The reformat is usually an easy way to *not* solve problems!
Sometimes weird hardware problems disappear by turning the computer off, disconnecting it from the power, leaving it 5-10 minutes and then restarting.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I dont understand. If i reformat a drive it erases all data and partitions right? i thought there may have been an error in gparted's process that caused it. Let me just say the lines first appeared directly after the motherboards intro screen, the screen tht quickly fashes past telling the user of all the hardware connected. MY only guess is that once it detected the drive in spun into motion the events. Im not sure its al speculation. All in all it was odd. Have you ever heard of it happening?
Thanks Again!

class413 wrote:

The reformat is usually an easy way to *not* solve problems!

My Rig, Amd Athlon X2 +4400, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI Motherboard, (2) MSI NX6800GT in SLI, WD160GB 7200RPM SATA (Boot Drive), (2)WD36GB 10,000RPM 8mb cache Raptors, 1G value Ram

This kind of problems with graphics come usually from the drivers. Your configuration isn't any usual configuration. I don't know how Gparted identified your 2 graphics cards.
As you told, these strange lines disappear after the complete OS installation.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***