Topic: isolinux to load livecd ?

Hi there,

Since 0.3.4-3 version I use GRUB to boot the livecd.
DO any of you think it would be a good thing to have the choice between GRUB-iso and ISOLINUX-iso ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Re: isolinux to load livecd ?

Yes, it would be ideal to have a choice between Grub-iso & Isolinux-iso.

For starters, I prefer to run Solaris but must have Windows available, so the Grub-iso is ideal for me. I don't know if Isolinux-iso can do Solaris.

Secondly, there are many people whom have had negative experiances with Grub who may find it more comforting to use Isolinux-iso.  ( I work alongside some of the best Windows guys I have ever met, yet they are terrified of Grub. They are stuned to see it work as well as it does.)

Last but certianly not least, this choice will only compliment an already good application. I am all for it.

Do it!

on an other hand, live-usb does load isolinux !
so people already have the choice between both....

So what ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

I haven't done the live-usb yet so I can't comment on it, but I do know this...often times too many moving parts can spoil a good thing.

I am all for choice, but with every choice comes a cost. I would suspect that the majority of users downloading this product ; are above beginner but below expert. Hence the need to KISS (Keep It Simply Simple).

Another thing to consider is how often this tool will be used by the average user. Surely many of us have it burnt to cd and it is as a much a part of our computing tool set as a screw driver or hammer in the shed. BUT, most people will only use it one or two times to get what they want, then not use it again. The question then is, are your advanced users really in need of two ways to access the tool set.

I will try to use the isolinux soon so I can comment upon it.

In response to "So what?", There is an story that when Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, it was deep in the night hours when it worked correctly. He went and woke up his wife to show her, she sleepily stated. "Great honey, now turn the light off and come to bed".

Whether or not that is a true story, the point is similar. Most people may not even know the difference when Gparted is upgraded, most of us will keep on using it for our specific purpose. No matter, you who have upgraded it will still have the reward of knowing all that this product can do. That is priceless!

Please guys bring back isolinux as Live CD image or please provide instructions how to make isolinux cd image out of GRUB based one on windows.
I am using gparted on my multiboot cd created with bcdw and since live cd is now booted with GRUB I can't any more add new versions of gparted to my multiboot cd. I don't have linux but I really like gparted so once again please provide also isolinux boot cd image as an alternative.

Thank you!