Topic: How to resize VISTA using the GParted livecd

I did it with VIsta-business, and it made ABSOLUTELY no problem !

So you need to run a terminal and use ntfsresize by hand.
Imagine you want to shrink your Vista  to 25 gigas, since it is atm 40 go. Here what you have to do :

1) using GParted, note the partition where Vista is : might be sda1 or sdb1 or sdb2 or hda1. So imagine it is sda1
2) launch a Terminal
3) run the following commands :

ntfsresize -s 25G /dev/sda1

4) Now your NTFS file system size is 25GO, but the partition might be still 40 GO !
so what you need to do is to shrink the partition.
To do this we will use fdisk.
5) In the treminal, run fdisk /dev/sda
*note* all the info you can read on this output !!!! (start, ID, system, boot, ...)
Destroy the partition where Vista is (dont be afraid we just destroy the partition not the data !)
Create a new partition, with the same number of the Vista partition we just deleted
Set size to the same start sector that it was
Set end size to 26 go ( well, more than 25go !, maybe 25,5 go should work)
Change the boot taggle to "boot", if it was set
change the type of the partition from 83 to 7 (7 is ntfs)
type "p" to see if all value are correct ! (IF it doesnt or if you fell afraid, type "q" to quit !!!)
then type "w" to enable changes, and make a little prayer ....

It should work.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

2 (edited by dersie 2007-02-22 02:56:50)

Re: How to resize VISTA using the GParted livecd

Good it's works with 0.3.3.6 beta 20070219 with graphical interface of GParted !

thx for reporting !
0.3.3-6 is about to be released. Probably in some minutes smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Please, dersie : would you be kind enough to test this one : http://gparted.free.fr/beta/gparted-liv … -17h52.iso
In the last one you tested, there is gparted-0.3.4 (from svn) and parted-1.8.2.
In this one there is gparted-0.3.3 (official) and parted-1.7.1 (= http://gparted.free.fr/beta/gparted-liv … -17h52.iso )

I need to know if it works with official release or not.

BTW : un grand merci wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin

OK il will test this afternoon !

dersie, if possible, please try the very last iso i am currently uploading : i added video drivers for most of the cards smile
thx !
(The first 0.3.3-6 beta you tried comes with only two drivers ! And mkxf86config most often fails to load X !)

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:

In this one there is gparted-0.3.3 (official) and parted-1.7.1 (= http://gparted.free.fr/beta/gparted-liv … -17h52.iso )

I need to know if it works with official release or not.

This version works fine for resize system partition of Vista, move partition and add partition on Vista Disk.

When I choose "Eject and Reboot", Eject work but my computer does'nt reboot (It's happen often with Linux system with reboot, shutdown works better)

8 (edited by dersie 2007-02-22 20:44:03)

LarryT wrote:

dersie, if possible, please try the very last iso i am currently uploading : i added video drivers for most of the cards smile
thx !
(The first 0.3.3-6 beta you tried comes with only two drivers ! And mkxf86config most often fails to load X !)

OK it's works fine also, X server start and I can resize move and add partirtion on a Vista system.

(shutdown and reboot does'nt works, it's hang after close all process, not important)

Very good job, Thanks !

(gparted-livecd-0.3.3-6-beta-20070222-13h59.iso)

Okay, thx for reporting !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Hello all, I just wanted to add my findings. Last night I tried using the early 0.3.3.6 beta and the text instructions in the first post to resize my Vista partition (ntfsresize -s [size]G, etc). I successfully reiszed the FS, then used the fdisk command to resize the partition and create a second partition in the remaining space. Vista loaded successfully with NO problems, so everything was going great! Unfortunately Vista did not see any other partitions (even in the Disk Management tool). The C: drive was reporting as the new, smaller size, but it did not show any new partitions. I loaded the Ubuntu liveCD and ran QtPartEd and it did not see another partition either. I ended up restoring Vista with my restore disk, no big deal.

Today I tried resizing my Vista partition using the newer gparted-livecd-0.3.3-6-beta-20070221-17h52 ISO and the Gparted GUI like mentioned above. It successfully shrunk the NTFS partition and created the new partitions I set up. However when I rebooted to go into Vista, I encountered that 0x000225 error (or something like that), saying there was a problem with the startup files. I simply used my Vista install disc and ran the Repair option and it rebuilt the boot files. It rebooted, automatically ran CHKDSK, then rebooted again and everything is working fine!

Now the NTFS partition is shrunk, and the Vista Disk Manager shows all the new partitions. However, it looks like (in my case) the Gparted GUI did NOT non-destructively shrink Vista; I got it working but I still had to use the Vista DVD to fix the startup files. YMMV.

Thanks for the tool though, I'm glad it resized it and I was able to get Vista working again!

Jesse

Big thx for reporting !
*This* is a report wink
So we could think GParted is not able to erpfectly resize VIsta atm, right ?

really, thx a bunch !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:

Big thx for reporting !
*This* is a report wink
So we could think GParted is not able to erpfectly resize VIsta atm, right ?

really, thx a bunch !

Correct, at least not in my case. Others might have more success.

Again, it resized the NTFS partition okay but Vista still encountered a boot error until I ran the setup DVD and did a repair. All of my data is perfectly in tact though, so it was a partial success. However, I believe any version of ntfsresize can accomplish that. The real goal (in my case) is to have a truly seamless, error-less Vista NTFS resize.

Note this was with the gparted-livecd-0.3.3-6-beta-20070221-17h52.iso, NOT the -20070222 version (it wasn't up when I tried it).

Jesse

13 (edited by dersie 2007-02-24 20:56:04)

Vista check partition at any startup, if Vista see some change in partition table it want update his informations and we must boot on Vista DVD and made repair.

I think it's not a GParted problem but a security check in Vista boot manager.
It's the same when I restore Vista with disk image (DriveImageXML or Partimage) on a new HDD.

With just resize there are not problem. It's happen only when you add, delete or move the start sector of any partition.

With Knoppix 5.11 and GParted 0.2.5 the resize works also with Vista partition.
(but we can't move partition)

Thx for the info guys.
I could not get 3.4-0 to get past the boot config.
Tryed 3.4-1 and made it thru to the partition interface
the first time. Resize took a couple of failed
simulations because the partition size was too small
it worked at 41gb for C:/. Larger than I wanted but
dramatically better than 233gb on  500gb drive.
They really should include a partition tool with vista
aside from the poor one in the gui.
Rebooted, did the repair with the Vista disc then check
disk and bob's was your uncle.

Tests with VISTA-Business

I have made some tests on vista-business. Shrinking worked perfectly, using GParted-livecd-0.3.4-4 (last release). I shrunk size from 40 go to 25. It rebooted twice as expected, checking for consistency. nothing special to say ! Or just one thing : GParted did it nicely wink

Next test is around the move ...

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Hi, I need some serious help.  I have a ThinkPad X60 tablet that has Windows Vista Business.  It didn't come with the WIndows Vista DVD.  It has a recovery partition and it let me make 1 set of restore discs.  I spent the last week installing software and tweaking the system to exactly how I wanted it.  I made a ghost image of the partition when I was done.

I downloaded the GParted LiveCD 0.3.4.  I booted up and resized the partition that Vista lives on.  There is another partition before it that contains the recovery tools/software, but I didn't mess with that.  After the resize was done, I got the black screen of death.  That's when I decided to research the problem and found this site.  I see that this was to be expected and all I need to do is put in my Windows Vista DVD, but I don't have one.  The ThinkPad came preloaded with Vista.

I've tried to put my ghost image back onto the drive, but ghost can't join partitions so it just installs the larger image on the smaller partition.  I've even tried running GParted again to put the partition back to the original size but that has also failed.

1.  Can any Windows Vista DVD be used to do the repair?  I have a friend who just bought WIndows Vista Home Premium and maybe I can use it to do the repair, but I don't want to screw up his ability to use his Vista.

2.  Is there a way to force GParted to put the partition back to the original size (maybe I don't know the exact steps to do this and that's why it's failing)?

Any help would be appreciated.  Right now I'm stuck.  Thanks.

You could resize the partition to its original size if you had the sector numbers where partitions begin and end, before initial resizing, or a backup copy of the Master Boot Sector. This would rather work in other w!n versions, but I don't know at all if this could be valid for v!sta.

I have no knowledge on v!sta, but I think it might be a "repair" boot mode, similar to that of the w!nxp cd. Well, it would be somehow different in those OEM versions, but I could never imagine that on any problem one would be forced to recall the system to zero, loosing all the installed software and files.

I doubt if another dvd would do the repair, because almost all "new" thinks in this system are just to block this.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I get to answer my own question.  Good News.  It is fixed.  I wasn't able to use GParted to reset the original start/stop sectors because I didn't write anything down when I resized the partition.  I just launched the LiveCD and clicked on the Move/Rseize button.  I didn't know to write anything down.

Anyways, I borrowed a friend's brand new Windows Vista Home Premium DVD and put it in the drive and rebooted.  It came up and asked me if I wanted to repair the install and I said yes.  It made a change and the system started as usual.  After Vista came up it found that there was a new partition and installed some kind of driver and then requested a reboot. 

I later used the built-in partitioner in Vista Business to size the system partition to what I wanted.  If I had known about that before I would have just used that utility in the first place.  Does anyone know of any drawbacks to using the built-in Vista partitioner vs. GParted?  I mean for my purpose where I just wanted to break the hard drive into 2 pieces so I could have my data seperate of the OS.  I could see where if you needed to change the boot order, or make room for another OS, or something else then you'd need a more advanced partitioner. 

I just wanted to let everyone know that it looks like other versions of the Vista DVD will work for the repair install.

I thought that the vista partitioning tool was intended to make room in current xp systems, for dual boot xp+vista (this is often required, because vista drivers are often missing, and software doesn't always run).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I`m a newbie don`t know how to use the live cd it boots but give so many options that i can`t choose . have got vista ultimate 64 bit. Plse help

Each time i boot from the cd it says a lack of memory .What should i do plse help.

vista needs much more memory than Gparted to work. So, it must be another issue.

Please, use the latest version (0.3.4-8). Start by the default options. If it doesn't work, try to use some else from the boot options in the boot screen.

I tried the latest version still the same . Every time it says [ caching failed likely due to lack of memory.] I tried the other options still the same but one says writing read and write but nothing happens for twenty mins

I believe Vista Ultimate comes preloaded with BitLocker.
I'm note sure if your's is activated already.
If so, you will probably have to turn it off for gParted to work.
Some OEM security & recovery applications fail to work when Bitlocker is turned on.
However, I do not have a Ultimate edition to test & verify that.

@Hoomesh
There is perhaps some BIOS setup setting issue.
Anyway, vista comes with its own resizing tool, so you could try with it.