1 (edited by Lux 2007-07-23 21:45:36)

Topic: [Solved] Can

Hi,
I

Re: [Solved] Can

Please, can you give a screenshot of Gparted, or write exactly what Gparted reports about the existing partitions?

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hi,
GParted says:

Device information:
Samsung HM160JC
149,05 GiB
/dev/hda

/dev/hda1/     ntfs              30,34 GiB    7,44 giB   boot
/dev/hda2/     extendted     97,65 GiB    2,93 GiB   lba
  /dev/hda5/   ntfs              21,06 GiB    -               -

Lux

I see that you have an extended partition hda2. An extended partition doesn't contain files, it contains logical drives - logical partitions. Extended partitions are shown in cyan colour on the graph.

The hda5 is a logical partition within the extended partition. Because it is formatted ntfs, it must be marked in green, as well as hda1.

Are you sure there are no other partitions on the disk, or any other unallocated space?

Please, give me information about partitions, by right-clicking on each of them an clicking on Information.
I want especially the first sector, last sector and length (total sectors) of the partitions.

Documentation:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/ge … parted.htm

About windows: how do you understand that windows don't see the free space?
In win xp you must open the "Disk Management" console, and there you can see all the physical and logical disks of the system. BUT you can't resize them (this is the work for Gparted):
"My computer" --> Manage --> Disk management.
What do you see there?

Another point is that between ntfs partitions, a gap of 8KB minimum is needed.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I solved it.
The problem was, that I had to resize the extended partition hda2 first and only after that I could resize the logical hda5 partition within hda2.

Thanks for Your patience.

One last question:

Where is the screenshot saved, that I can make with GParted. I didn

Good news!

Screenshots are saved in the RAM, where all the Gparted file system is located. So they disappear when with the system power down.
That's why we need to save them on diskette before leaving!