Topic: extension "SHAPE" missing on display

Live CD 0.3.4-8
system board D815EEA2
integrated Intel Graphics controller 82815  6.13.01.3196
Samsung SyncMaster 753DF
Reported this as a bug but may just be that I'm a newbie
have tried to boot with "Force VESA" and Froce I810 all with same results.  Boot proceeds to require Forcevideo script, used vesa, 1024x768, then screen goes blank.  Using Ctrl-Alt-bksp the error is displayed: Unable to open /dev/hdd read-write
                Xlib: extension "SHAPE" missing on display ":0.0"
                xinit: connection to X server lost
  waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

Can't seem to get past this.

Appreciate your time

Re: extension "SHAPE" missing on display

I read all around the net problems with integrated Intel Graphics controllers.

Have you tried any other boot options? (Especially the option about old method or something like this, I think the 4th option in the initial boot page).

Another tip you can try is to enter the command "exit" after the control+alt+backspace, in the text screen. In some cases this works and then gparated runs.

Finally, are there any issues with your hard drive?
"Unable to open /dev/hdd read-write"
Do you have many hard disks?

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Yes I did try the option for "old config system" with the same result, and I have read through forum posts and tried the exit command but still end up in the same place.  I also tried all the video option when running Forcevideo.  The one interesting result is that I was able to get the SystemRescueCD to run by booting with "sysrescuecd doxdetect".  It did then respond to startx and GParted started normally in the graphic interface.  Does that help? Is there any advantage to using the GParted live CD?

Thanks

Is there any advantage to using the GParted live CD?

The advantage is to use the latest version. Old versions are often buggy, so they could cause problems. That's the case of gparted version contained in Ubuntu.

Furthermore, we can't work (move/resize) on partitions that are mount. If we run gparted from an installed system we can't work on the same partitions where the system works.
The liveCD doesn't mount any partitions, so it can work on all disk partitions.

You could also try the previous versions 0.3.4-7 and 0.3.4-6 in cdrw. There were changes in the boot method. 0.3.4-6 was easier to run in my own computer than 7 and 8.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I used 0.3.4-6 with several of the different boot options and always get to the point where Forcevideo is required.  The response is "Fatal server error - caught signal 11, Fatal IO error 104

The version of GParted on the SystemRescueCD that I burned which does start up (after startx) is 0.3.4. There is one post on the Sourceforge.Net forum about problems with GParted properly recognizing a resized partition on an NTFS drive, "Kemik" was essentially doing the same thing that I am planning. GParted reports a bad sector on the disk, which chkdsk can not identify when it runs.  Should I go back further in list of ISO's here?

Thanks