Topic: Error occurs whilst trying to shrink NTFS partition

Hiya

I'm a complete Linux novice - and so I haven't managed to save the error report to usb, even with the automated "mount usb" tool built into GParted.

But I can type out here exactly what is said in the process details:

Move /dev/sda1 to the left and shrink it from 105.15 GB to 95.39 GB
calibrate /dev/sda1
calculate new size and position of /dev/sda1
check filesystem for errors and (if possible) fix them
shrink filesystem
check filesystem on /dev/sda1 for errors and (if possible) fix them
grow filesystem to fill the partition

I have no idea why this isn't working

If you need the .htm file could someone please walk me through how to get it onto a USB disk - and you WILL have to treat me like a retard when you do that smile

Basically all this partitioning is so that I can install Vista - if I get the hang of things I might also try and install a version of Linux later on - have only dabbled briefly with Knoppix and Fedora Core 3 in the past.

Power to the people

Wilf

Re: Error occurs whilst trying to shrink NTFS partition

1. Use the latest LiveCD please! 0.3.4-8.
2. Before resizing, defragment your ntfs partition. Perhaps you need to disable the w!ndows swap file for that (virtual memory settings).
3. Read carefully the documentation
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
4. After resizing the ntfs partition you have to reboot at least 2 or 3 times in w!ndows, before doing other partition operations with gparted.
5. Go very slowly and carefully at any step .... !
smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Greetings Wilf,
The LiveCD really does work and its very easy to use. It is fortunate that the moderator's in this forum give good advice.

I cc what class413 states, except I did not have to disable my Windows Swap file. Whatever works for you. I would re-emphize item #4, I suggust rebooting 3 times.

Take note, I find it best to do all my updates, then defrag a couple times. Next I run the Check Disk System and I select both choices;

1)Automatically fix file system errors
2)Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

This way I KNOW that Windows is squared away before moving on.

Since you are installing Vista, you probably have a 64 bit system. If so, consider installing OpenSolaris Developers Edition; it rocks. If you perfer Linux, Debian64 should suffice. (Nexenta, at the OpenSolaris download site is essentially Debian on the Solaris Kernel.)

Another OS, that is an absolute kick, is Menuet 64. This is written completely in assembly and runs off a floppy, cd or off the hdd. (For the hdd, simply put the image on the C:\ slice and run it.)

The documentation here at gparted is pretty much on the money. I am very impressed with how this product works. I think you will enjoy it.

Have fun,
chooch

Hi again - thanks for all the help guys - partition was successful! Unfortunately I didn't disable the swap file before resising, and now XP has spazzed out - I think I should put a 20gb partition in, install vista, and then use that to delete the values XP has stored for it's hard drive environment.

Does anyone agree with this/have a better plan?

And also, does anyone know exactly how to do this?

(chooch - I do have a 64 system - thanks for the recommendations - will probably check them all out one by one smile)

Actually - dont worry about that last question.

I accidently reformatted my C: drive sad

Perhaps you can recover some part with TestDisk, however.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***