Topic: Resizings question

Ok so I didn't plan all that well with my windows partition.  Thinking 10gigs would be fine.  Well of course I want to burn some dvd's for my buddy and I need 4 gigs in a temp folder on windows that I don't have.

So I went into gparted to see what I could do.

This is what it looks like...

This is on my laptop now.

/dev/sda1 ntfs 9.76 gigs   
/dev/sda2 ext3 4.87 gigs
unallocated       4.9 gigs

Is there anyway to get that 4.9 gigs to the NTFS partition.  I took it off the ext3 partition thinking I could just add it to the NTFS but apperently it doesn't work like that.  Can only add to the partition above that.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Resizings question

To add unallocated space to a partition, it must be just before or after that partition.

You have some options:

- You can "move" the sda2 (ext3) partition to the end of the disk, so the unallocated space will be after sda1. Then, you can expand sda1 to this unallocated space. I hope that this moving won't be too slow, because the unallocated space can contain all the sda2.
To expand the ntfs partition, follow the documentation (there is a special help file about ntfs). After resizing you must restart in w!n, at least 2 or 3 times for checks and system adjustment.

- You could make a new partition in the unallocated space (sda3), ntfs or fat32, to use as temp folder, if your burning software allows this. This new partition will have a new drive letter in the w!n system.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Ditto on the "let WIndows restart 2 or 3 times" that seems to be the most common mistake. Let it do its thing.

chooch

K checked out the software and it does let me change temp folders.

I would eventually like to change the partition but my main goal was to be able to just burn these dvd's for now.

I still have 70 gigs free on the notebook on another partition so its not like I'm dieing for space. 

I'm kind of afraid of messing with the partitions like that as if something goes wrong thats a major headache and a ton of reading for me to do to fix it.

Is this a sure thing no problems?  Those 2 partitions that I would be working with are windows and ubuntu root.

then in extended I have ubuntu's home, mem swap, and a storage partition.