1 (edited by PPmarcel 2007-07-10 15:14:11)

Topic: Lost partition

Hello,

I have an hard disk drive wich was build like this:

Principal:
-30Go Ubuntu
-2Go swap

Extended LBA:
-200Go Fat32

I removed the linux partition with gparted (from a liveCD). Then, my disk was lost:
Impossible to boot on linux partition (on a new disk), or most of liveCD. I just
access it with a old ubuntu LiveCD.

I tried to backup the Fat32 partition with test disk, but it only detect
Swap partition, and extended LBA partition, but not the Fat32 in the Extended.

How i backup my data?

PS: i don't responsabilise Gparted team, problems can happend, no disk is 100% safe. I just look for solutions, maybe someone here had got the same problem and resolved it?

Re: Lost partition

Hi,
I just don't understand what you say : if you remove your linux partition, there is nothing strange that you can't boot linux anymore :-/
Or I missed  something :-/ ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

3 (edited by PPmarcel 2007-07-11 01:14:46)

Bonsoir LarryT.

I haven't been clear in my explains, i realise now smile
I have 3 HDD. Call HDD.A the Hard Disk which cause me problems, and HDD.x others.

I would use HDD.A to install a new linux on it, so i used Gparted to format the linux on i. Then i had this problem: Gparted noticed an error at the end of operation (i didn't wrote it, damn me now! smile ). Then, all the HDD.A was seen as an empty disk. I want to backup Fat32 datas, where i stored series and all my documents (works and images overall).

But testdisk DON'T see any Fat32 partition. It just detect the swap partition (which was existing with the OLD linux installed), and an extended partition (i should say a "logical" partition, i confuse my words). But no steps of my old data partition :'(

Now, to make a transition with my actual problem: My HDD.A is a sata disk. I have installed linux on HDD.x now. When i plug HDD.A, my computer won't start: linux loading stay blocked. If you want, i can catch the message on which the system stay bloqued. Same way if i plug the disk while the system is running: it freeze it some minutes after. Also, most of LiveCD stay blocked like my system. Just dapper drake may start in safe mode, and it's with this liveCD that i tried to backup my datas on the Fat32 partition.

If you know some software which could backup wideos and photos, it coul be great. Then i could format the disk and use it again.

There is the program "PhotoRec". It comes from the same family as Testdisk. It is free and looks for photo and video files.

But, I think you can try a little further to recover the extended partition and the logical drive in that. There is a nice document about partition issues and problems:
http://ftp.spsselib.hiedu.cz/pub/linux/ … ion-Rescue

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Thank you. I will test and say you there the success or echec of this method.

It is better to restore files in another disk. Good luck!

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

7 (edited by PPmarcel 2007-07-11 22:59:19)

Hello,

i tried to backup datas, but i just got some useless files from linux, so not what i was looking for. I choosed to never mind what i lost, when i tryed to format my disk. But i have a hard problem now, a problem which made that i couldn't backup my datas and crash my computer...

I launched gparted for formta the disk, and i find this message in console:

"Error: Unable to open /dev/hdc - unrecognised disk label."

I tried to set all disklabel possible, but nothing works. What can i go? should i cry because i've lost a disk forever? I does exist a way to fix it?

Thanks

PS: a last thing: the disk os not mecanically or electronically dead. I tryed a low level formatage, with success, but same problem. Also, Hitachi Feature Tool consider the disk as "good", about the S.M.A.R.T. fuction. So don't say me that it's dead, i just look for solutions. So my question is now: How rebuilt the Disklabel?