Topic: Can't partition...wtf...

I can't partition any of my drives for some reason.  All of the partitions/drives have a lock symbol next to them.  I've tried unmounting the drives to see if that would change anything, but for some reason it won't allow me to unmount, and says I have to do it manually.  Any suggestions?

Re: Can't partition...wtf...

i have the same problem when I want to clear partition & create new ones on a new SD card. I've tried to run it from (Gnome) Terminal as root, but that gives same 'lock'. I've looked at the documentation for the meaning & howto clear the padlock icon, but no success.

Have you had any success?

Regards,
John

3 (edited by MimeyNaomi 2007-07-06 07:07:28)

Same thing, I can't unmount and have to do it "manually."  I'm a total n00b, how do I do this?

Edit:  Figured it out [well, finally found a thread on the Ubuntu forum about it].  You can't unmount anything being used by your filesystem.  So, you can't run gparted while you're in your normal Linux session, you have to boot into the liveCD.  If you're already running the liveCD, I don't know what to tell you.

Better is to boot from a gparted livecd, the latest version.
That's why the gparted version contained into Ubuntu is very old and buggy!

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***