Topic: error - invalid loop location

Trying to use Gparted to do a dual boot for XP64 and Vista64.  Will it work?

Created a boot disk with Nero 7 and the ISO image.  Disk boots OK, but when it is coming up I get -
"invalid loop location" and it stops.

My system

2.67 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo(E6700)
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
2 gigs RAM
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2 (build 3790)
2 - 250 sata hard drives
Intel motherboard - DG965ot

Thanx

Re: error - invalid loop location

Mikie, this message was already reported by several users with 965 motherbooards or chipsets (Intel and Gigabyte). Larry, the maintainer of gparted, found that perhaps it has to do with the CDrom or dvd drives. It seems that there are problems concerning the support of the ATA drives, at least in some older Kernels.

I have me too a new computer system with E6600 CPU, 2GB RAM, 2 optical (ATA dvd) units and SATA HD. The M/B is ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi, with 965 chipset on. I have a minor problem booting the gparted LiveCD, but not that error message. I can run the Knoppix 5.1.1 live CD too (with both optical drives), nevertheless not with full graphics support (in framefuffer mode). ASUS M/Bs use a Jmicron chip for implement PATA support, INTEL ones use Marvell chips. Anyway, I think this will be solved soon, as I see 965 a lot around.

Did you try the various boot options from the boot screen?

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***