Topic: I repeat my query posted yesterday because of formal errors

My yesterday posting was crowded with smilies due to certain character combinations. I was not aware of turning off this option.

Since this topic is important for me, please let me repeat (now without disturbing smilies):

Windows XP Home shows in the explorer and as well in the disk-management the following partitions:
BOOT C, ntfs, 18 GB
BACKUP D, ntfs, 18 GB
RECOVER E, fat32, 2 GB

I wanted to join C and D to have 1 partition with 36 GB. D is empty.

On one computer that worked perfectly with Gparted.
On another computer not. On this other computer XP-disk management showed the same constellation, but Gparted showed very different:

BOOT, ntfs, 18 GB
extended, 18 GB
BACKUP, ntfs, 18 GB
Recover, fat32, 2 GB

This "extended" part is what I do not understand. When I click (within Gparted) on "change size" for partition C, I get "0 space before and after", so that I cannot expand partition C.

May I please ask for explanation and assistance ...

Greetings

Lendersdorfer

Re: I repeat my query posted yesterday because of formal errors

Hi...
Putting it fast "Windows" does not report the Extended partitions; the Windows HDD admin. tools only show " real partitions".
As usual Windows simply hides the details...

An Extended partition is simply a Logical container...
Any Logical partition is located inside that container... (but not always)
So other software such as Gparted does report correctly the container...
Although to resize (mostly enlarge ) any of those partitions you need to correctly enlarge also the Extended container... smile

Mark Marques

Thank you. So far I begin to understand. But not all.

I would prefer to have nothing to do with that extended partition, because on that computer there is only the need for 3 partitions.

May I simply delete the extended partition with GParted, or would that impact the other 3 existing partitions?

Greetings
Lendersdorfer

I think this is a double post.
I gave my reply there:
http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=769

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Sorry for double-posting. That was due to my mistake with the disturbing smilies. I apologize for this.

Thank you for the link to your reply - that reply makes clear to me what has to be done (at least I hope so). Yes, the names with hda1, hda2,... could be seen.

Thank you
Lendersdorfer

Now I have an additional question.

In the Windows disk-admin-tool I see a green frame around the partitions D (Backup) and E (Recovery). As far as I have learned this indicates, that these 2 partitions are within the extended partition which is only shown in GParted.

Since I want to get rid of the extended partition, I would like to delete it with GParted.

D does not have any data and can be deleted, but E must not be deleted in no way.

Can I delete the extended partition with GParted without loosing the data in E?

Greetings
Lendersdorfer

Hi...
Of course if you delete de container (extended partition) all of its contents is also deleted...!!!
So the only course of action is to backup the E : partition prior to any change...
There is also a small detail : in a HDD due to some strange rule (?) the number of primary partitions is 4.

So if you have the time and chance to make a primary partition where to copy all of the data inside the E: before any changes that would be the ideal...
But still if you delete the Extended all of its data ( partitions ) is also deleted...!!!

Greetings
Mark Marques

8 (edited by class413 2007-07-03 18:24:48)

As you wrote above,

BOOT, ntfs, 18 GB
extended, 18 GB
BACKUP, ntfs, 18 GB
Recover, fat32, 2 GB

If BACKUP and Recover were both whithin the extended partition, than this one had to be 18+2=20GB big, not just 18GB.

This can be clear by the numbers given by gparted.

If this recovery partition is within the extended partition, you could delete the empty partition and resize the extended partition to free some disk space just after the c:

It would be better if you post a screenshot of the gparted screen with the partition information.

/EDIT/
Partition copy is better done by the gparted-clonezilla liveCD.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hi Mark,

thank you, understood.

Well, a sophisticated interpretation of "deleting a container" could also be, that just the container is thrown away, but not the content. Understand what I mean?
But your explanation was clear. Now I think I know what do do.

Thanks + greetings
Lendersdorfer