1 (edited by blueeyesmike 2007-06-29 09:19:02)

Topic: Boot Problems (Drive letter changed??) [SOLVED]

Ok here we go, so the overall problem is that windows will not boot what happens is:
1. Windows Loading Screen
2. Disk check window, says 'can't find autochk.exe cancelling autocheck' or something to that effect
3. BSOD, session manager initialization process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a

at that point all I can't do is reset and repeat,

So what caused this well can't be exactly sure at what point is happened but there seems to be a few things I may have done wrong.
1. I booted a ubuntu live cd and ran GParted from that, I tried to shrink my C: drive (NTFS) and it seemed to work, but the computer would not reboot so I ran FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from my windows cd and the computer did reboot. Note that when I booted to the ubuntu cd I did it when I had only hibernated windows (I do this often to save time and now think it is a very bad idea) so when I rebooted it resumed hiberation and I 'thought' everything was ok.
2. So I figured I would try to use the GParted LiveUSB I did this (from a reboot this time). Attempted to shrink my C: drive again (it was back to it's original size apparently the first attempt didn't work) the resize failed twice so I gave up and attempted to reboot. That is when I ran into my current problem. I tried FIXMBR again and FIXBOOT again and CHKDSK and got zilch. However I did notice that when I used the windows recovery disk console it thought my windows was located in drive E:????? which it is not and I think this may be the reason autochk is not found.

I can view the disk in ubuntu from the livecd and access all the files.

Is there anyway I can check the letter of my drive? is it actually E: now?? if so can I change it back I think that will sort the problem

So please any ideas on what I should do? Any help would really be appreciated, to sort out this mess I've made, I'm quite new to all of this (read newbie) so detailed instructions are appreciated.

Re: Boot Problems (Drive letter changed??) [SOLVED]

blueeyesmike wrote:

Ok here we go, so the overall problem is that windows will not boot what happens is:
1. Windows Loading Screen
2. Disk check window, says 'can't find autochk.exe cancelling autocheck' or something to that effect
3. BSOD, session manager initialization process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a

at that point all I can't do is reset and repeat,

So what caused this well can't be exactly sure at what point is happened but there seems to be a few things I may have done wrong.
1. I booted a ubuntu live cd and ran GParted from that,

You may stop from here !
Ubuntu is still running a bugful version of GParted witch is 0.2.5

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Yeah sorry about the long post just that I'd done a lot of stuff, I realise that ubuntu has a buggy version, but windows did boot correctly once after using it so I wasn't sure it was that but I guess it is hey. So any ideas on how to fix this?

blueeyesmike wrote:

Yeah sorry about the long post just that I'd done a lot of stuff, I realise that ubuntu has a buggy version, but windows did boot correctly once after using it so I wasn't sure it was that but I guess it is hey. So any ideas on how to fix this?

Yes, clear : You may find all what you need on Micro$ web site !
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Thankyou very much this looks like exactly what I need, now I just need to find a way to edit the registry from linux, I'll let you know how it goes

It seems that it is possible to edit registry from Linux. Please, look at the links:

"Editing the windows registry with Knoppix"
www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1918306,00.asp

A special Linux programme:
http://www.muug.mb.ca/pipermail/roundta … 00620.html
http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robo … linux/rip/

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Thanks class413 I took a look at those however I had difficulty using them because my disk was NTFS so I couldn't get it to write to the registry. What I've done instead is to install windows on a new partition, It works and I'm able to see and edit all my other files so I'll have a fiddle trying to get the other partition to boot again or else I'll just migrate most things to the new install

Ok So I think I've fixed the problem now, to edit the registry I had to install a second copy of windows onto a new partition I formed with GParted (LiveUSB this time) then I ran some check disks etc on the other partition and finally changed the boot.ini file so that it would boot from the original partition. It all booted up and worked yay. I'm formatting the second copy of windows now so that should be the final test. Thanks to anyone who gave me help here.

blueeyesmike wrote:

Ok So I think I've fixed the problem now, to edit the registry I had to install a second copy of windows

I though it was the only real way to fix your problem.
But i am currently trying to find out a work around.
I guess we should find some appliance on VMware, or kinda livecd that may run  windows system.
If i ever get time, I will try something. I am full of strange ideas smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin