Topic: does gparted amend grub?

If I delete a windows partition in gparted which leads to a reordering or renumbering of linux partitions, will gparted amend grub?

If not, how do you prevent grub from failing on reboot?

Re: does gparted amend grub?

I think gparted doesn't amend grub. You must boot from any other medium (boot floppy disk, boot cd or usb external device) and update links.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Thanks for the reply.

I've got a few questions though I'm hoping you can answer.

Which links to I amend? Where are they? How do I amend them?

I'm afraid that I can't give advice about that, because I never did a Linux installation myself till now sad  I've worked with live versions, mainly Knoppix.

So, this is a thing I will face me too in the future smile
I think there are various similar discussions in this forum. Any advice from more experienced members would me more than welcome smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I've had similar problems. Only with me I have Win XP on one partition and ubuntu on another. Whenever I did ANYTHING to my partitions in Windows GRUB would refuse to boot. Gave me a error 17 =0S

My solution was to reinstall ubuntu from a live-cd (thank god that I keep my data on a separate partition!). This removed/killed/overwrote the old grub and made it work again. But I've never had problems when changing partitions from ubuntu (using gparted). Of cause I use the built-in thing in win - perhaps that's what makes grub turn it's back on me?

~Alice