1 (edited by wirefree 2007-06-21 19:04:29)

Topic: Why a screensaver?

Hi there,

I am attempting to resize a partition using GParted LiveCD.

After boot, CD takes a while to scan hardware, etc. Finally, after keyboard mapping, there is an inkling that I am getting close to the main screen.

But, then this screensaver appears which reads:

"Not Optimum Mode
Recommended Mode :
   1024x768    60Hz"

And it just stays there...I can't use the mouse...No combination of key presses help either!

HELP!

Re: Why a screensaver?

Is the latest version?
Did you try any options about graphics or just the default?
( Especially "Force VESA" )

Please, read carefully the Documentation before using this software:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php

Spend some time to read problems of other users in the forum!
Working with partitions isn't always easy. Don't go fast, and take backups before!
smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Appreciate that, class413.

With regards to your query, the CD presents no options for graphics. The first prompt received is for keyboard layout & language. The next screen is the aforementioned sreensaver.

Please note that I am indeed referring to the LiveCD documentation at:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/livecd/livecd.htm

However, am unable to proceed beyond the 3rd screenshot.

Would appreciate some advise.

Best,
wirefree

The "Force VESA Driver" option is the 6th line on the first screenshot!
You can try the Framebuffer option too.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Thx class413. It worked out with the VESA option.

I have successfully repartioned. However, the tutorial contained no references to formatting the new partition. As a result, it is not listed under 'My Computer'!

Please advise how I can avail of the new partition.

Best,
wirefree

When creating the partition, you can select to format it (in the right-click menu, I think) with the filesystem you want.
For winxp you can use ntfs (or FAT32, but this doesn't support unicode file names). For Linux, it's another story... smile

Now that I am done creating the partition and am back in XP, is going back into GP and attempting format an option?

Trying now...

Worked out just fine!

Appreciate all the assistance, class413.

Best,
wirefree

:-)