1 (edited by jtchil0 2007-06-16 17:14:56)

Topic: moving around unallocated HD space

I run a dual boot laptop with a 100GB hard drive. I have XP on one and Debian on the other.

My HD partitions look the following way:

1  NTFS ~43GB
2 Extended Partition (Linux Partitions)
        2a   /boot ~ 50MB
        2b   linux swap  ~1GB
        2c   /  ~ 35GB
and about 15 GB of unallocated space

This is the actual order from left to right if you were looking at the GParted window.

I'd like to move the unallocated space to a position just below the XP partition so that I can add it to the XP partition. I figured to do this I would have to move all the linux partition to the right such that the unallocated space was then before the linux partitions.

However, if I click move/resize on partition 2c, the slider bar doesn't have an arrow on the left side, just the right side, so I can increase this partition to fill the unallocated space, but not move it as one block of memory.

When I click on partition 2a or 2b both ends have arrows such that both ends can be changed.

Is there a way to accomplish what I want to do?

Thanks for any help,
Taylor
Minneapolis, MN

Re: moving around unallocated HD space

you don't mention any unallocated space, or I missed something :-/

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

yeah, sorry. I accidentally sent the post before I was done.

I have now been able to select the extended partition, and remove the unallocated space from that extended partition. Then I made the unallocated space into a primary ntsf partition, which has somewhat gotten me to my goal. I would have liked to have been able to combine the unallocated space with my other ntsf partition, but I couldn't seem to get that to happen.

So my new partition table looks like this:

1 - ntfs partition
2 - extended partition
       2a - /boot partition
       2b - linux swap partition
       2c - / partition
3 - ntfs partition

so I'd like to move partition 3 to the #2 position, so that it can be combined with the other ntfs partition.

Thanks,
Taylor

Look if this could help : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/tips/gfs.htm

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)