Topic: Newbie can't create logical partition in extended partition

I have WinXP Home on new Dell Inspiron 6400. I have uninstalled the pre-loaded Vista.

I have shrunk the C: partition.

In the unallocated space, I have created an extended partition. I want to create two logical drives in this extended partition.

In the following post, "plors" said: "...if you right-click on the unallocated space in the extended partition and choose 'new' from the menu, gparted will automatically create a logical partition."

http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=295

When I right click on the extended partition, the "New" option is greyed out. Only "Delete" and  "Resize/Move" are available.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Re: Newbie can't create logical partition in extended partition

Would you be king enough to past somewhere a screenshot of your current hardrive layout from within GParted, please ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

LarryT wrote:

Would you be king enough to past somewhere a screenshot of your current hardrive layout from within GParted, please ?

I used the "Screenshot" option on the desktop. I was told the file is in /root

I exited from GParted (on CD) and booted WinXP.

There are no files in C: only folders. (This disk is empty apart from the OS and Dell's pre-loaded junk.) A "Search" in the complete C: produced no results.

Please advise.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/ti … etails.htm
this for gparted-details files, but it is the same here.

Explanation of what happened : the screenshot you took has been saved in /root witch is load into memory (!!), so when rebooting the memory is freed and screenshot vaporized wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Sorry Alan : when trying to correct your link i made a mistake and your post is gone away...
but I copy and past it ...

Here is my screen shot. (I hope!. I won't know until it's actually posted!)

http://www.overclockingwiki.org/index.php?title=Image:Gparted.jpeg

Added: It worked. (How do people do it inline?)

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Sorry for any waste of time.

Previously, I highlighted the line for the new partition and right-clicked. I didn't notice the Apple-type triangular icon at the left of the line. If I expand the icon, I can now right-click and see "New" in the menu.

http://www.overclockingwiki.org/images/ … arted.jpeg

When I right click on the extended partition, the "New" option is greyed out. Only "Delete" and  "Resize/Move" are available.

this is weird !!!
Why don't you try to delete the extended partition and create it again ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

ok nice smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I can now see two new E: and F: drives in my Windows Explorer. (D: is the CD-ROM.)

Everything so far has been easy and intuitive. (Apart from the fact that I am either short-sighted or stupid. )

I have left 10GB unallocated space at the extreme right of the GParted screen. I want to install Ubuntu 7.04. I assume that this partition must be a "primary" partition. How do I make this partition bootable?

In the drop-down menu for "Filesystem", I see "ext2" and "ext3". Which of these is correct for Ubuntu 7.04?

I also see "linux-swap" in the drop-down menu. Does this mean that I should actually create two partitions in the unallocated 10GB, one of these being for "linux-swap"?

no need to make anything bootable or not with the pingouin ! It rocks as it is :-p

ext3 is better since it enable journalization witch is useful if ever crashing

you need one partition for / and maybe one for /boot and one for swap.

Larry
GParted-project Admin