1 (edited by Runge_Kutta 2006-08-02 18:24:23)

Topic: Using GParted 0.2.5 Live CD - Copy partition problem [SOLVED]

I've been using this hardcore for about two weeks now - no problems until now:

I cannot copy a backup ntfs boot partition I had marked as "hidden"
and paste that partition to the deleted ntfs partition that was at the front "top"
of the drive.

When I right click over the now free space at the front of the drive, "paste" is
not a highlighted option, though it is for any other part of the drive.

When I just enabled the backup ntfs partition as "boot" just from where it is, I am able to still
boot into Linux and almost boot into Windows (I'm sure I'll have to edit the MBR to switch the
positions of the boot and data partitions).

That free space at the beginning of the drive is annoying though!  My question is:
1) Is there a way to get a copy of my backup partition to that spot in the front and
2) If not, is there some way to get rid of that free space at the front of my drive
3) All while not compromising my data, though I'm fully aware of the risks of partitioning
   drives and most data is backed up anyways so I'm open to any ideas here!

here is a screenie that displays my drive configuration and the problem I have outlined above:
http://runge_kutta.freepgs.com/screenie.jpg

PS - sorry, in advance, for grainy pic: digital camera is not so good . . .

GOD Bless! as HE has blessed me!       
                                                         ||         Linux Noob, but Google Pro . . .

Re: Using GParted 0.2.5 Live CD - Copy partition problem [SOLVED]

hmmz, i hope i understood your message correctly.

In order to copy an ntfspartition you need the have the ntfsprogs installed (if you are running gparted from the livecd (as you probably are) this is already available ).
Also the targetarea (unallocated space) needs to be larger than the copied partition. basicly it needs to be the size of the copied partition + the size of one cylinder (usually 8 MiB). If this is not the case you can shrink the ntfs partition first and than copy it..

However if you only want to use the unallocated space, there is another, more exciting option. You could wait a week or so till we release GParted-0.3 which allows you to move the start of all partitions. This gives you far more control over the layout of your disk.

btw, the livecd contains a screenshot tool tongue

thnx mate!

shrinking the ntfs backup partition before trying to paste it into the free space worked!

windows then did a "checkdisk" scan and recovered the little bit of free space
located after the newly replaced partition "weird"

anyways, windows replaced the MBR, which erased GRUB: but no worry, I used
SUSE's boot/install disk to find the boot linux partition and then used YaST2.0 to
restore GRUB back onto the MBR.

everything works now and without any loss of data, from what I can tell

thanks again . . .

Runge_Kutta wrote:

windows then did a "checkdisk" scan and recovered the little bit of free space
located after the newly replaced partition "weird"

Nothing to worry about. We schedule a windows chkdsk after each operation on a ntfsfilesystem, even when everything went perfectly fine. That will cause windows to run chkdsk, the first time it accesses this filesystem.

(Could you add  [SOLVED] to the subjectline, if your question has been answered? thanks!)

Runge_Kutta :
About the checkdisk : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/re … cd10-b.gif
From : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/re … sizing.htm

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

plors wrote:

Nothing to worry about. We schedule a windows chkdsk after each operation on a ntfsfilesystem, even when everything went perfectly fine. That will cause windows to run chkdsk, the first time it accesses this filesystem.

WOW! This is nice to know now so I don't screw up things in the future,
guess I'm fortunate I didn't do anything to seriously screw up my system.

As for editing this subject, I can't seem to find the link after pressing
the "edit" tag at the bottom right corner of my first post. 
But this issue has been solved

I'm such a noob . . .