Topic: GParted Forum Closing Down Near End of March, 2024

This is a notice that the GParted Forum is closing down near the end of March, 2024.

After this point in time the forum will cease to be available.  If you have any posts you wish to keep then please copy the text of the post prior to the forum shutdown.

For many years, Jan Claeys has graciously hosted and managed the forum software.  We thank Jan for his efforts and contributions to the GParted project.

We would also like to thank Class413 for helping answer user questions and acting as a moderator.

Re: GParted Forum Closing Down Near End of March, 2024

Why not move forum to (multi topic) Telegram or Discord?  There's no privacy needed here, prob no need to keep/maintain a private forum.

That might be an option, but it needs someone to oversee the change and also to moderate the platform.

4 (edited by jeanbonbon 2024-03-31 21:49:42)

Could you put the database backup of forum public posts on archive.org please ? Please dont lose all lifelong info on this platform !

Can you consider making a forum on libera chat ? Or setup on specific IRC channel to discuss around Gparted ?

Or at least a mailing list ?

We need a way to communicate, for instance for incidents (such as the current xz backdoor)

@jeanbonbon are you volunteering to do the work and host the service?  That is the challenge many projects face -- lots of suggestions on what to do, but not many folks volunteering to implement the suggestions.

There has been a #gparted IRC channel on Libera.Chat ever since Gnome started to use them instead of GIMPnet as their official IRC network. It’s not very busy/active, but I’m there most of the time…

There is also the project development mailing list on Sourceforge.

I haven't checked the Internet Archive if they have a full copy of this site, or how I could trigger that, but the site will stay up in read-only mode for a little longer, so I will see if that's possible if I have time.

(And I’m not going to put the whole database backup somewhere public obviously, as that includes e-mail addresses & possibly other private data.)