Topic: Gparted Live freeze and reboot when shrinking encrypted partition

I have a laptop with dual boot Windows 11 and Fedora

There are several partitions on my 500GB SSD.

There are two main partitions:
100GB Windows Partitions (NTFS)
370GB Linux BTRFS Encrypted Partition.

What I'm trying to do is shrink the Linux partition by 25gb and move it right and enlargen the Windows Partition.

First thing I attempt to do is open the Linux partition and shrink it by 25gb.  During the check process I notice the PC freezes and after a moment the PC reboots. Nothing has been done. Linux boots just fine.

Any way I can make a log file which I can post here and someone can have a look at?

Thanks,
Sal

Re: Gparted Live freeze and reboot when shrinking encrypted partition

Normally, the log file is stored in the filesystem that is located in the RAM. Reboot makes RAM content to disappear. It seems that this happens before resizing start, and so the partition remains intact.
You don't write the GParted  or GParted Live version you use. I hope it isn't any old one.

Another idea is to try GParted from another live medium, for instance the "System Rescue CD"  (https://www.system-rescue.org/). GParted live is based on Debian. Perhaps another distribution could work better with your hardware.

It is also probable that some hardware problem forces the system to reboot. It is a good idea to check your hardware, just in case...

In any case I would suggest backup of any important files, because any operation related to the partitions is potentially dangerous for the filesystem integrity.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

The thread is moved to the Gparted Live section.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

The GParted version is the latest from the website 1.4.0.6

I'm not sure what differences a live Rescue CD would do but I suppose I could try. I am unsure what hardware checks I should make. I really don't know linux well at all - this laptop is a company laptop and has both Windows and Linux and I don't use Linux so looking to make Windows larger.

salikR wrote:

The GParted version is the latest from the website 1.4.0.6

I'm not sure what differences a live Rescue CD would do but I suppose I could try. I am unsure what hardware checks I should make. I really don't know linux well at all - this laptop is a company laptop and has both Windows and Linux and I don't use Linux so looking to make Windows larger.

So far have done a memory test and nothing flagged.

Unsure what other components I can test. Any tips?