Topic: Multiple improvements asked

Hello dear GParted community,

First, let me thank you for the hours of work saved due to using GParted in situations where time is the thing to be found.

Being a regular user of GParted, I am here to ask several improvements:

- A more friendly vi, which means having the vim package installed + a .vimrc file (for instance this one https://raw.githubusercontent.com/maaaa … ter/.vimrc)

- A Python startup file for interpreter completion, for instance this one hxxps://raw.githubusercontent.com/maaaaz/dotfiles/master/.pystartup

- Having common bash aliases enabled in .bashrc, with some colors:

alias ls='ls --color=auto'
alias dir='dir --color=auto'
alias vdir='vdir --color=auto'

alias grep='grep --color=auto'
alias fgrep='fgrep --color=auto'
alias egrep='egrep --color=auto'

alias ll='ls -l'
alias la='ls -A'
alias l='ls -CF'

- The following packages installed :
=> pv : a vital package to allow printing progress bars and rates during transfers etc.
=> htop, bmon, nmon : vital packages for system monitoring
=> zutils, pigz : for processing zlib compressed data
=> colordiff, xxd, vbindiff : for printing data
=> cifs-utils, smbclient : for connecting to SMB shares
=> nmap : for network debugging
=> xrdp or rdesktop : a RDP client
=> wireshark, tshark : to process network captures
=> usbutils : to use USB devices
=> vlan : to use VLAN
=> parallel : to process parallel tasks
=> zip, unzip : to process zip files

And additionally, some rust-compiled alternatives : hxxps://zaiste.net/posts/shell-commands-rust/

Best regards !

Re: Multiple improvements asked

FYI, I managed to build my own version there: https://github.com/maaaaz/GPartedPlusPlus

FYI, in these instructions (hxxps://gparted.org/add-packages-in-gparted-live.php), don't forget to say that before the action #4, we have to first umount /{proc,dev,sys} from the chroot environment, or the build might fail.
=> My first mksquashfs attempt tried to include /proc/kcore which, for unknown reasons, weighted 128 TB

Yes, you'd better to have your own customized release since not all the packages are crucial to GParted, and those rc files are not suitable to everyone. It's better to keep the standard rc so that user won't be confused.
In addition, these two packages "wireshark, tshark" require many dependent packages, and it will need 30-40 more MB for the live iso/zip file.
Anyway, the rest of packages do not take too much space, so we can add them.
GParted live 1.4.0-6 is released in the testing branch, and you can check the release notes.
If you can, please test it.
Thanks.

Steven

Thank you very much Steven !