1 (edited by bartels 2022-09-13 22:11:47)

Topic: Copy or moving a partition isn't working well

First I tried to move a partition and found that I couldn't do it, because it got shrinked to a size one unit smaler than the original one.

I could solve this in that specific situation as in the context you are able to change size to a bigger one as well and I did not need to have a precise copy in that case.

But now I had to copy a partition from one Drive to another without any change and couldn't do it. The fault is that because of alignment I did not knew which size I had to put in.

So in this step of the software is a fault where I suggest, that once they count maybe the last or the first Byte in and once out.

But I do not know where that fault is, as it seams that it is even if you create partitions. I thought that I did a few weeks ago a fault by typing in the size but now I know, that it looks like as if this fault is as well than working but you do not really realize as long as you do not want to create same size partitions. I recognised by doing this for a raid that I got a better result with sgdisk as with gparted but did not realize, that it isn't the alignment that changes the input as it looks like there is some kind of a fault that is in the whole input section.

Best you see it while copying a partition from one drive to another, as this should never get smaller as the original.

maybe I do something wrong but it doesn't look like it.

Re: Copy or moving a partition isn't working well

Copy the saved details from the failed GParted operation to this thread so that I can try to reproduce your issue.

I do not know how to attach a file. So I had to delete the links in the text as it did only allow on link as answer.
By creating the fault I found that it only apears if you want to create a partition that is attached to the left end of the drive space.

So I tried to copy and paste. But won't work:

<head>
<meta http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html;charset=utf-8' />
<title>GParted Details</title>
</head>
<body>
<p>GParted 0.25.0 --enable-libparted-dmraid --enable-online-resize</p>
<p>Libparted 3.2</p>
<table border='0'>
<tr>
<td colspan='2'>
<b>Copy /dev/sdb3 to /dev/sdc (start at 931.26 GiB)</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;00:00:00&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;( ERROR )
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
<td>
<table border='0'>
<tr>
<td colspan='2'>
calibrate /dev/sdb3&nbsp;&nbsp;00:00:00&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;( SUCCESS )
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
<td>
<table border='0'>
<tr>
<td colspan='2'>
<i>path: /dev/sdb3 (partition)<br />start: 31251226624<br />end: 31251757055<br />size: 530432 (259.00 MiB)</i>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
<table border='0'>
<tr>
<td colspan='2'>
<i>the destination is smaller than the source partition</i>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;( ERROR )
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
<p>========================================</p>
</body>

Your using GParted 0.25.0 from 2016.  Upgrade to the latest GParted 1.4.0 from 2022.  At the very least it will provide additional details in the saved details that I need to reproduce your issue.

mfleetwo wrote:

Your using GParted 0.25.0 from 2016.  Upgrade to the latest GParted 1.4.0 from 2022.  At the very least it will provide additional details in the saved details that I need to reproduce your issue.

Will take some time to get on site, as I do know that with the version on my stick that is from 2022 it did not work even, but I don't want to change the system there without beeing there as this machine is used for several things there and I had always trouble by upgrades because of something did not work any more after it.