Topic: partition problems after resizing task not completed

Hi all,
today I had a problem during resizing of ext4 partition where I have Ubuntu 22 installation.
I was using gparted from Ubuntu 22.04.1 Live USB.
Unfortunately during resizing task, USB drive had a contact problem (I touched it without removing it :-( ) and Ubuntu started to indicate errors.
After reboot, ext4 had problems, of course, from Gparted I could see it but without many informations, also size informations were missing.
After some attempts, with fsck.ext4 something has been fixed, and on Gparted I can see size and that partition is not completely available: initial idea was to increase space of 20GB, and now gparted shows them in the partition, but not really available.
If I try to fix this situation with Gparted, it starts but it closes after some minutes without any effect.
Also with Disk management tool od Ubuntu, if I try to check partition I obtain an error.
From Windows, with software DiskGenius, I see that all files are in the partition and I could recover and copy them to another disk.

Is it a problem I could fix without formatting partition? Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance in case of any answer.

Re: partition problems after resizing task not completed

GParted has to do different actions depending whether you were resizing the start and/or end of the partition and whether you were growing or shrinking the partition.  Depending on what was being done and when it failed performing a check is the wrong thing to do and could lead to more data loss.

Without knowing the exact details of what was done my recommendations are:

1. Recreate the file system and restore from backup.

2. Don't have a backup then make a file level backup now and accept any lost data.

3. Optionally try PhotoRec to scan the partition looking for any lost data.

4. Go to 1.

For future reference:
1. Always have a backup of data you care about.
2. Save details from the failed operation and include in help requests.
3. Stop on the first error and don't make things worse.

Thank you for answer.
2 questions about PhotoRec (I know, it's Gparted forum):
-if I tried with PhotoRec once, recovering files to an external disk, original partition, where files are stored but now not readable, would not be changed so I could retry a recovery if PhotoRec didn't recover all I need?
-does PhotoRec recover only files or it can keep folder tree if possible?

Sorry don't know.